• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

iraq war controversy in its third year. please respond. (4 Viewers)

marlosian

HSC
Now that the Iraq was has reached its third year what are your views on its neccesity?

What do you feel is the real incentive of the Iraq war and Ausralias continual involvement?

Australia seems to be continually bombarded with horrific images in the media. do
you feel they hold an accurate perception of reality?

How big is the threat of terrorism in australia?

Do you feel it is very likely for you to be attacked by a terrorist?

When someone speaks of a terrorist what image comes to mind?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It was never neccessary, and if I'd known what I know now I wouldn't have supported the war itself, but Australian involvement is good for Australia because it cements a relationship with the US.

Involvement should be continued because otherwise the country will descend into further anarchy, and Australia's continued involvement is undoubtedly good for us, as stated before.

Oh noes, teh war has horrific images. Honestly they don't affect me at all.

Not half as large as it's being made out to be.

No.

Pancakes.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Continued American support in regards to any future conflicts in the south pacific area.
What do you mean? Are you really expecting the inevitable Indonesian invasion???

banco55

HSC
_dhj_ said:
What do you mean? Are you really expecting the inevitable Indonesian invasion???
You may laugh but Australia's alliance with the US was one of the main factors in Indonesia deciding to give up East Timor without a fight.

davin

HSC
N/A
I think removing Saddam and trying to put in a democratic gov't in that region has a lot of positive ramifications for Iraq and the world. Bush has done a very poor job at conveying what the benefits would be though, imo.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What do you feel is the real incentive of the Iraq war and Ausralias continual involvement?
Well Australia's gaining considerable benefits off the US.

Australia seems to be continually bombarded with horrific images in the media. do
Haha They're not horrific you pussy. I think the images we are shown are the cool explosions n stuff.

High, but I don't feel myself that threatened... I feel they'll probably go for sydney/melbourne... there's like what, 5 million people in that area? If I take their latest success... we're gunna look at probably 200-300 people being killed. Chances are I won't be one of them!

An arab with an ak-47.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Now that the Iraq was has reached its third year what are your views on its neccesity?
Not necessary for my survival.

The image of being a regional military power.

The general media is always pro capitalist. The reality must be worse for Iraqis.

Don't care. I'm more likely to die from something else.

Not very.

A classification of a type of criminal that blow up buildings etc.

Gangels

HSC
marlosian said:

I think that support for Iraq is crucial at this time (specially seeming as the trial is in Iraq) for they arent fully able to look after themselves yet. they are really vulnerable. An event like this takes at least 10 years to even slightly recover from.

I really have no idea about incentive but i think people push it sometimes cause they just want to argue with the Gov't

Horrific? This is a far from horrific war. You want horrific, try vietnam

Threat of terrorism? When isnt there a threat of terrorism. We've only just woken up to the fact thats its been there forever and will continue to be there forever.

Absolutely necessary to strengthen ties between America and Australia, I'm sad to say.

I totally agree, Without any alliance we would be fucked. Thats why we need to remain in the commonwealth and not piss off the americans.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
marlosian said:
The US and supporting nations should withdraw their troops within the next 6 months and leave the political process completely to the Iraqis.

The real incentives for the US are oil, justified increased military expenditure to perpetuaute R & D in US domestic markets, to perpetuate an atmosphere of fear to keep the populace controlled, maintain Republican power. etc. For all other coalition nations the incentive is an improved US alliance obviously.

I dont think horrific images are "continually bombarding" anyone. It is war. Killing happens. And it is very real.

Increasingly large given the perpetuation of anti-Muslim sentiment within both State and Federal government as well as the support of the Iraq war which encourages terrorist reaction in the West.

Given that there has not been a terrorist attack in recent history in Australia, extremely unlikely.

George W. Bush

davin

HSC
N/A
The real incentives for the US are oil, justified increased military expenditure to perpetuaute R & D in US domestic markets, to perpetuate an atmosphere of fear to keep the populace controlled, maintain Republican power. etc. For all other coalition nations the incentive is an improved US alliance obviously.
even though the war continuing is making the republican party's job harder, and there has been no benefit to the u.s. as far as oil, given that less oil is being pumped now and gas prices have been on the rise

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The idea is to acquire friendly M.E. colonies so that oil supply is secured for the future.
Africa is where it's gonna b at in the future though.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Continued presence is an excercise in mitigation. Should a withdrawal occur, as happened in Vietnam, the oil region would go ape-shit and U.S power/authority/ability to act would be challenged throughout the globe. Apocalypse ensues.

I dont think an isolationist NZ foreign policy is appropriate for us.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
hm.. u will find that australia will now move towards forming a relationship with india and china.

as for iraq- well typically at the moment the americans have destroyed it, and are attempting to fix it. they have been denying a civil war, but in fact a in civil war has been happening in the last 3 years, otherwise iraq should be fixed by now, it doesnt take 3 years to rebuild country, which was invaded with little resistance all in the name of WMDs.

if saddam hussien was there, there wouldnt be such chaos, though there will be still a lot deaths, but it will be organised people are assured to some extent of what will happen tomorrow. the iraqi sadly have become accustomed to a dictatorship, and as result cant takes actions on their own hands and demand a democratic government within a time period. as of yet the new 'iraqi government' has done jack shit simply because they are powerless, as they dont have the support of the people.

i dont think any of the minister would have predicted for it to last so long, they if i remember correctly were all thinking withdrawing troops within the year itself, but till now no such withdrawal has taken place.

yes iraq is free of saddam, but was it worth it. people live in fear now and as they did before, but before they knew to some extent what was going to happen, or at least things done were hidden. an interview on abc radio took place where iraqi man living in iraq was questioned. he said he was happy that saddam was gone, but he was not happy that the us remained, he wants them to leave. he aslo it isnt safer now than under saddam, that actually it was safer under saddam, but he hopes the conditions will improve.

if asian come to australia and invade for whatever reason, would you be happy? as an asian u would be, but as an australian wouldnt u want to revolt and incite riots and move against such a goverment whether it be democratic or not?

davin

HSC
N/A
Just a thought, but keep in mind that post world war II, Japan was occupied by the U.S. officially until 1952 (7 years) and Germany wasn't soverign until the mid-50s either, i believe.

Building a country doesn't happen easily, but it IS happening in Iraq. This isn't basic sectarian violence going on there. Yes, ethnicity is a part of it, but there are still a great many Sunnis that are working to esablish a gov't. Its not that the current gov't is powerless and lacks support, its that they're working hard to create a gov't that is best for all iraqis, theres a lot of negotiation going on.
America isn't controlling the political path of Iraq, and I think the voter turnout they have does indicate that a lot of Iraqis want their voices heard in their gov't.

Honestly, I don't see why the insurgents are so supportive of keeping American troops in Iraq.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
One interesting thing about the violence in particular with some of the different insurgent groups is that it has been going on for centuries-having its roots in the different followings of mohammad from the the middle ages. I don't see how centuries of division within Iraq being absolved any time soon or by the US in any matter.

i'm a bit hazy on the history so correct me if im wrong

davin

HSC
N/A
there's been division, yeah, but that doesn't necessarily equate to violence. though that does make the whole thing much more difficult to hope to succeed with.

banco55

HSC
davin said:
Just a thought, but keep in mind that post world war II, Japan was occupied by the U.S. officially until 1952 (7 years) and Germany wasn't soverign until the mid-50s either, i believe.
I don't think they are analogous. How many troops were killed in occupied japan and germany? Besides they were back on their feet by about 1948 or so and the US could have pulled out a lot earlier if they had wished to do so. Not to mention both countries were prosperous before the war, they were homogenous and they had some experience with democracy. Iraq was a 3rd world shithole even before Saddam got in and the average Iraqi is illiterate, inbred and does what the local imam tells him to do.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
NZ and Australia's relationship is similar to the US's and Canada. Anything that seriously affects NZ's security affects Australia's security as well. So they can afford to have a tiny military and be difficult because they know our interests are so similar we'd be forced to go their aid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)