• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

iraq war controversy in its third year. please respond. (2 Viewers)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Iron said:
You'd need to support the economic benefit argument. Long-term economic interests involve getting out of there ASAP.
Not necessarily, iraqi war has provided employment and economic growth. somehow with rising everything i guess it has to rise our asx has managed to break 5000. and american economy is growing after a recession, china and india economically are surging, iran is moving well ahead (technologicall and thus economically), so a lot good things have occurred, after america invaded iraq.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Someone wanna pass him the facts about how much the Iraq war is costing america per day?
my friend the money that 'cost america' has to go somewhere, where does it go? it goes to the workers, companies etc who are they? typically american, iraqi etc. so essentially i am saying its good to spend the money, why? it comes to the consumers pockets and drives growth.

essentially though the goverment will get that money back through taxes, but at the moment thats not what the government wants, they want establish a foundation.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
my friend the money that 'cost america' has to go somewhere, where does it go? it goes to the workers, companies etc who are they? typically american, iraqi etc. so essentially i am saying its good to spend the money, why? it comes to the consumers pockets and drives growth.
It goes into building/buying new equipment... which then gets destroyed. Or into fuel / food supplies for the troops, or into millions of other money sinks. This doesn't drive growth.

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah, its not that american gov't is spending money...that helps economy.... its taht they're in heavy deficit spending at this point since Bush is EXTREMELY liberal financially (in american sense of word) and thats a very unsafe policy from an economic perspective.

anyway, the american economy is improving, but not due to Iraq.... i've my own speculations that part of it is businesses returning to getting supplies from within the U.S. after imports from China were found to be cheap, but of poor quality, but I can't back that up as an overall thing.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It goes into building/buying new equipment... which then gets destroyed. Or into fuel / food supplies for the troops, or into millions of other money sinks. This doesn't drive growth.
who do u pay to build the buildings, who do u pay to repair them? who do pay to supply the fuel? to maintain the trucks.
u have spent especially if yoour economy is in recession, to improve economic growth. though u could say that bush has gone too far, does it really matter if you spend too much? especially if ur america? i mean the american economy is so huge, that spending might actually do some good.

Also remember al lot of countries owe america a lot of money. And dont forget they are not spending everything on iraq there are also spending quite lot of advanced military infantry research.

so.. as you can see, spending is always good there is little point having money lying around, when you can share it around.

money doesnt 'dissappear' it gets passed around, the value might diminish tho.

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah, but consider that a lot of gov't spending is often based on loans when its deficit spending. the more the u.s. already owes, the more it will cost in interest rates to pay off those loans. the issue is bush is spending more than the u.s. gov't is bringing in in taxes

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
yeah, but consider that a lot of gov't spending is often based on loans when its deficit spending. the more the u.s. already owes, the more it will cost in interest rates to pay off those loans. the issue is bush is spending more than the u.s. gov't is bringing in in taxes
i wouldnt worry too much about that, america will find a way to pay back those loans (if they do).

davin

HSC
N/A
and you think they'll get the money where, exactly?
cuz, atm there ISN'T a solution as to how.

the point was though, even if they do, there's diminishing returns here, as each dollar in spending more has more of the cost going to paying interest, and the money is often borrowed from outside the u.s.
in that sense deficit spending isn't helping the american economy but harming it

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
and you think they'll get the money where, exactly?
cuz, atm there ISN'T a solution as to how.

the point was though, even if they do, there's diminishing returns here, as each dollar in spending more has more of the cost going to paying interest, and the money is often borrowed from outside the u.s.
in that sense deficit spending isn't helping the american economy but harming it
a lot of countries owe america a lot of money, also america has a lot nice products in development that when sold, will solve all the financial problems.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
a lot of countries owe america a lot of money, also america has a lot nice products in development that when sold, will solve all the financial problems.
nice products? last i checked (could be wrong though) the u.s. was operating in a trade deficit. outsourcing has become a major issue

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
nice products? last i checked (could be wrong though) the u.s. was operating in a trade deficit. outsourcing has become a major issue
hehe just wait and see.

lonesniper

HSC
"Strengthening relations with America" ??

Well, yes it has, but is that a good thing?

Having our nation playing lapdog to the U.S is not a good thing!

Mind you, I agree that China needs watching, but I think it'd be a better policy to make better friends with China - they already buy massive amounts of our coal and iron ore...

Still, Australia should stand tall and proud, not run about invading obscure nations not-even-remotely connected to Al-Quaeda...

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
lonesniper said:
"Strengthening relations with America" ??

Well, yes it has, but is that a good thing?

Having our nation playing lapdog to the U.S is not a good thing!

Mind you, I agree that China needs watching, but I think it'd be a better policy to make better friends with China - they already buy massive amounts of our coal and iron ore...

Still, Australia should stand tall and proud, not run about invading obscure nations not-even-remotely connected to Al-Quaeda...
If you have a better idea than the 'great and powerful friend' concept which has driven Australian foriegn policy since federation we'd love to here it.....

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
Iraq shouldnt of been invaded...the UN went in...searched and searched for weapons, found stuff all.

America went in, bombed the shit outta everything and removed the totalitarian dictor (this I agree with) and still found nothing.

Now if, Bush had have cited the removal of Hussein as our reason to illegally enter a country, maybe it would of had some standing with me...but until then...I'll continue hoarding my oil.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Australia is actually very friendly with both ASEAN nations and the US now... it's not like we have to choose one or the other, at least atm.
Yeah that is true.

Though it can be looked at as if Australia is the ears and mouth for American in Asia. As Australia follows a plan on economy and foreign policy similar to the US and is always trying to get the US involved in the region.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea but I also think that like... if you compared Australia's political values, against ASEAN nations or EU nations... we're much more aligned with the ASEAN.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I wouldnt go so far as saying that we're very friendly with ASEAN nations, at least under Howard (preemptive strike, refugees, east timor, howard's well-covered immigration views + One nation +real/perceived racist society [eg Cronulla], drug markets...)
There's a working relationship, sure, but i'd stop short before calling it friendly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)