Is 1.5 mol/L HCl corrosive? (1 Viewer)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to put some context to it?
If I poured it all over my hand during a titration (HCl being the solution that i am to determine the concentration of), can I use the fact that it didn't burn my hand as a way to calculate the concentration.

Machiavelli1

HSC
You could probably find the range it was in by doing that, but other than that obviously it's not a very accurate method.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
You could probably find the range it was in by doing that, but other than that obviously it's not a very accurate method.
hahahah that was probably a bad explanation. During the titration, I accidentally spilt some of HCl solution on my hand. I then calculated, through titration, the HCl to be 0.14 mol/L. I had a few friends who calculated the same result, and I had a few others who calculated 1.5mol/L. Everybody i know got one of those two results.

If 1.5mol/L HCl is corrosive, then my result is probably correct.

So ... is it corrosive?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
hahahah that was probably a bad explanation. During the titration, I accidentally spilt some of HCl solution on my hand. I then calculated, through titration, the HCl to be 0.14 mol/L. I had a few friends who calculated the same result, and I had a few others who calculated 1.5mol/L. Everybody i know got one of those two results.

If 1.5mol/L HCl is corrosive, then my result is probably correct.

So ... is it corrosive?
Were you asked to dilute the acid by a factor of 10 as part of the prac? If so, then you may have forgot to factor that into your final calculation of concentration.

Last edited:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Were you asked to dilute the acid by a factor of 10 as part of the prac? If so, then you may have forgot to factor that into your final calculation of concentration.
haha damn, no i wasn't told to dilute it.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Then your calculation should be right (unless your teacher already did the dilution for you or mixed up bottles or something).

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Yeahhh sorry dude. I think there was a dilution somewhere that you didn't account for.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I don't consider 1.5 M to be concentrated - sometimes, I don't even consider 6 M to be concentrated. However, that's probably because I have handled 16 M strong acids and bases.

Oh, and no, you can't use that as a method of determining concentration. I would not burn you up to 5 M or so.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
U can use the pH calculation to work out how acidic it is, i don't think its particularly wise in general to pour over your hand. If you have ur results its prolly a bit easier to work out for us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)