• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 12 units too much??? (1 Viewer)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
we got one of them, he should be in yr 10, yet he's dux

lucyinthehole

yeah 12's ok. you might be jealous of your friends and their free periods though :rolleyes: but workload-wise, 12 really isn't that much. and yeah it's very reassuring going "oh, i can just not count that..." :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i always had free periods in year 11. because i had 2 extension classes and they were off the timetable.

same this year. i was actually jealous of others, because i would watch them go home, while i was still stuck at school for antoher hour.

i agree, like sub said, 4U will be too time consuming, unless i have lready said that previously. that is why i stuck to only 3U of maths. i hope it will be the right choice. :p

alby

cool duckie
HSC
imo it might be an idea to keep the extra 2u, see how you go in the 1/2 yearlies...if you stuff something up or are just not managing, drop the worst/most time consuming thing..
just see how you go dude.....good luck
note: same goes with anyone else considering doing 12+ units for hsc...try it, if you hate it or are going shit...drop something

evanish

HSC
N/A
At my school we have to have more than ten units if doing 4 unit maths...just incase you drop it and you screw up your UAI. do other schools have that policy? That's the only reason i'm doing 12 units!!!! If it were up to me i'd drop pd.h.pe and focus on 4 unit instead....arghhh

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah keep your 12 units, as others have said it is good to have something to fall back on. Maths is so hard to do well in, like english because so many people do it. Unless you are really good at it, i would drop the 4th unit, because the amount of study time it takes up is not worth it for the marks.
I spent soooo long on my maths, more than any other subject, and i got band 6 but it didnt count in my UAI coz it was my lowest. If i had given up on maths and spent more time on my other subjects i prob could have gotten a better UAI... but u dont realise until its already done, so oh well....

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey silverstone, if you're not doing your HSC this year, will you still be 16 when you do attempt it? Cos I haev a feeling lots of people on this site are gonna be 16 when they do their HSC, far more than they reveal themselves to be.

tennille

HSC
Definitely keep your 12 units. It's not too much to have. I did 12 units, which turned out to be 7 subjects. Like everyone else said, if you go crap in one subject, you have something to fall back on. Our school was forced to do 12 units in year 11 and only in special cases we were allowed to drop two units in year 12. I have a few friends who do 13 units, and they can handle it.

B

Bambul

Beat you all. 17 units, and I still managed a UAI of 97.45 (how modest am I? :)). But there was another guy in my grade who did 25 units. Really put me to shame. Ask me nicely and I'll list them all for you.

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
Bambul said:
Beat you all. 17 units, and I still managed a UAI of 97.45 (how modest am I? :)). But there was another guy in my grade who did 25 units. Really put me to shame. Ask me nicely and I'll list them all for you.
*asks nicely* so, what subjects did you do?

And if I ask uber-nicely, will you tell us a) how the guy managed 25 units and b) what school would even let you do that?? My friend was doing 14 and they argued her down to 12!!

Odourless

HSC
I am able to do 12 yet only 10 in year 12 because I finished german in year 11 :D

Makes it so much better!

B

Bambul

super katie said:
holy moly how on earth can you do 25 units?!?!?! In one year?
Don't fret, he only did 21 units in year 12. :)

Here's the breakdown:

In school (year 12):
4 unit English
4 unit Maths
2 unit Physics
2 unit Chemistry
2 unit Economics
------------------
Subtotal = 14

In school (pre-year 12):
2/3* unit Agriculture (year 11)
2 unit Computing (year 10)
------------------
Subtotal = 4/5

Distinction courses:
2 unit Philisophy
2 unit Cosmology
------------------
Subtotal = 4

Staturday language school:
2/3* units Chinese
------------------
Subtotal = 2/3

Giving you a grand total of 25
*I can't remember if he did 3 unit Chinese or 3 unit Agriculture, but he did one of the two.

In case anyone is wondering, he got a UAI of 100.

As for me:

In school (year 12):
4 unit Maths
2 unit English
2 unit Physics
2 unit Economics
2 unit Modern History

In school (pre-year 12):
2 unit Agriculture

Staturday language school:
3 units Spanish

Which adds up to 17 units, 15 in year 12, 12 in school.

lala2

Banned
HSC
One girl in my school's doing 23 units or something...man, she's gifted or sumthing, anyway...she accelerated in 4U Maths and Physics so she was in such a bad mood just before the HSC this year, but at least she's got another...*counts* 17 units left to do. If you wanna know her subjects, they are (and even I'm sure of only half of them):

4U Maths (Accelerated)
4U English
Physics (Accelerated)
Chemistry
Modern History
History Extension
Drama--she might've dropped since I last knew
Visual Arts--she might've dropped since I last knew
Business Studies
Economics

And there are two other girls doing over 15 units for the HSC, both accelerated in Music 2 and Music Extension, they are:

Girl A: 3U Maths, 3U English, Physics, Classical Greek Continuers, Jap Continuers/Extension, Music 2 (Accelerated), Music Extension (Accelerated)

Girl B: 3U Maths, 3/4U English (no idea), Physics, Chemistry, Modern History, (History Extension--not sure), French Continuers, Music 2 (Accelerated), Music Extension (Accelerated)

Phew, that was hard work typing in all their subject choices...zzzz

elf-pie

sob sob

ummm..im doing 14 units...so yeah,its a bit too much...but i dont know wat too drop and im just stuckkkkkk...helpppppppppp

lala2

Banned
HSC
Oh yeah, Girl A (I just found out) is also doing Classical Greek Extension so she's a rarity in the State!--so that's 17 units. And Girl B just dropped Physics a few days ago...umm, so she's ok. And I also found out the girl doing 23 units has dropped Drama, Visual Arts and Business Studies, but wants to take up a Distinction course.

Anyway, the point is, 12 units is reasonable. Our school hammers that into us, 11 units is a bit umm and if you want to do 10 units you have to hand in a letter from your parents and the school has to very carefully consider your case--the paperwork and stress of waiting is so great that you might as well do 11 or more units kinda thing, and just stuff the extra unit(s).

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
12 is alright, unless u think one subj will pull uai down, or struggling in that subj jus drop it, theres ppl worst than u so yeh :)

petemuse

HSC
N/A
im doing 12 units, i dont think its too much, the extra 2 units makes me feel secured if i stuff up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)