• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 14 Units Suicide? (1 Viewer)

dangerousdave

HSC
Kwayera said:
Ext 1. English is a lot of work, particularly on the extra-curricular reading, but it's not actually as hard as it's made out to be.
My friends who do eng ext said it was pretty much the opposite; minimal class work but very hard assignments/exams. They said for half their lessons all they did was watch videos. It's probally just their teacher.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Wats SoR 2?? Drop Eco - it doesnt fit in with anything else

i dont think its suicide but i think it would be too much stress

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well, I know like six people trialling 15 units for Term4, Year 11 and atm they don't seem to be dying (and they are all normal--none accelerating in anything)...but it's up to you. Our school's said 12's the magical number, 13's pushing it, and 14 is just hell, but u know, they can't stop you. WHat do you wanna do at uni? If you're aiming for medicine or something sciency, eco might not be much use, and vice versa. I suppose you'll have to be good with your organisational skills to study 14 units, but you can always drop later in the year. If you're stuck, or tossing up between a few subjects as to which to drop, do the first Year 12 assessment for each subject and compare marks.

Hope that helped

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
lala2 said:
Well, I know like six people trialling 15 units for Term4, Year 11 and atm they don't seem to be dying (and they are all normal--none accelerating in anything)...but it's up to you. Our school's said 12's the magical number, 13's pushing it, and 14 is just hell, but u know, they can't stop you. WHat do you wanna do at uni? If you're aiming for medicine or something sciency, eco might not be much use, and vice versa. I suppose you'll have to be good with your organisational skills to study 14 units, but you can always drop later in the year. If you're stuck, or tossing up between a few subjects as to which to drop, do the first Year 12 assessment for each subject and compare marks.

Hope that helped
yeh I might be doing 15units next term too...er...
my subjects and ranking for yr 11 are:

3U maths (8th/11)
2U adv eng (no idea, but not that i can drop eng anyway :rolleyes: )
1U study of religion (same as above, due to being in a catholic school)
2U chem (not sure, around 5th/12)
2U phys (4th/6)<-- yes 6 ppl in our phys class :| so ranking doesn't seem to help
2U geog (1st/22)
2U art (1st/25)
1U art extension at National Art School (non uai tho, yet heaps of work) <--holiday course

ppl i need useful advice esp ones that have done the combo of subs above (or similar)
My aim is to get >95uai that's all i care about
P.S I can do art extension without 2U art as it is an outside course, and i can stuff it up cos it is non uai anyway :rolleyes:
thanks all!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
LOOK

i know this kinda unrelated
just dont drop to 10
i mean .. if you do CONSIDER IT

Cause its like walking on the edge of a cliff, seriously it sucks so hard when 8 of the units you are kicking butt in and the last 2 units you are failing or just passing

10 units is suicide

SUICIDE I TELLS YA!!!

veridis

droog
HSC
kinda related cause right now i'm doin 14 and am thinknig of dropping something
my subjects are
eng adv
ext 1 and 2 eng
ancient
modern
history ext
physics
3u math

the thing is the subject i want to drop is maths and my school is too screwd up to let me drop to 2 adv. is it worth dropping to 11 given that the major work componants of both ext 2 eng and hist ext are very unreliable in terms of getting high marks

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend who is doing 15units, but he is like full psycho

-=simo=-

if your happy, go for it

yeah... im one of the suckers also doing 14 units...but im doing my maths this year so only 11 units in yr 12 so its a bit easier for me.

'fraid thats not much help to you...

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Everyone should remember that you can do your HSC over 5 years. If you really want to do 14 units, why not do the HSC year over 2 years? Sure you might be the oldest student at the school, but not by much.

I remember when I was in year 8, there was this girl in my roll call that was doing her HSC over 5 years. No one looked at her funny, she just looked like all the other year 12's to be honest.

What you could actually do if you did it over two years is do the subjects your not good at in the first year, and then do the subjects you're good at in the second year while repeating any of the subjects you did in the first year that you know you can improve on (not all of them).

You could even do this over three years if you wanted.

Its an option. If you do 14 units and end up doing really crap, you will probably be doing the HSC again the following year. And lots of people do repeat because getting into university as a MATURE AGE STUDENT isn't as easy as everyone says it is.

Last edited:

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Doing 13 units was enough for me. I found that I would often have in excess of 2 - 3 hours of homework a day :(
I couldn't wait until I got to the HSC course and dropped Modern History, giving me 11 units (because at my school Studies of Religion is compulsory, so I do SOR1). This way I get 9 study periods per fortnight AND have less homework/assessment tasks.

So in short, 14 units will mean you will not have a life, basically. Be prepared to do 3 hours a night minimum for homework.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
Doing 13 units was enough for me. I found that I would often have in excess of 2 - 3 hours of homework a day :(
I couldn't wait until I got to the HSC course and dropped Modern History, giving me 11 units (because at my school Studies of Religion is compulsory, so I do SOR1). This way I get 9 study periods per fortnight AND have less homework/assessment tasks.

So in short, 14 units will mean you will not have a life, basically. Be prepared to do 3 hours a night minimum for homework.
i do 3-4 hrz a nigh... im in yr 12, and do 13 units. it is not as bad as made out to be... give it ago and leave your options open.

Grandor

Aspiring Army Officer
HSC
I started doing 14u this year. I dropped one so I could stay sane throughout the year and keep lots of unneeded pressure at bay.

14u = social suicide.

Pardon my spelling, I am lazy,bored and hungry

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
drop to SOR1....SOR2=extra work, not worth the outcome...

I did 14 for prelim
Maths 3u
adv english
physics
chem
german cont.
music
SOR1

then dropped music and picked up german ext for HSC so did 13 units...was managable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)