• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 14 units too much for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
At the moment, in Year 11, I am taking:
  • General Maths
  • Geography
  • Legal Studies
  • Economics
  • Business Studies
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1
Would it be too much to pick up an extra unit of Extension English for the HSC year? I'm not struggling with the workload at the moment, does it get much worse? Can I even have that many units? Help!

hatty

Banned
y would u want 2 do so many subjects?
u only need 10

my suggestion is 2 pick up EE2 (i assume you are confident you will go well)
and drop either general maths, geography or legal studies (as they are quite easy and scale low) if you are confident with the rest of ur subjects, drop another 2 units.
so you will have 10 units for the HSC, but be you gotta be confident in all ur subjects so u dont stuff up

afta???

HSC
im havin 14 units for yr12 too ... wanna pick up ext2 maths n history ext
but i plan to drop either legal studies or ancient/ext history during the year. here's wat ive got now.....

maths/ext maths
adv english
legal sudies
economics
ancient history

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
There is no set standard. Some people love their subjects and do 16u or whatever. It depends if you can handle it and if you like your subjects enough. Right now the workload might not be too much and I guess this doesnt vary much into Yr 12. Except, there is alot of pressure and stress involved in Yr 12 and this might change your perspectives on things. Pick up all the subjects you want if you really think you'll love them but keep in mind that you dont have to keep them if it turns out that you hate the subject or that it's too much work or stress, you can drop them.

kpq_sniper017

Sarah168 said:
There is no set standard. Some people love their subjects and do 16u or whatever. It depends if you can handle it and if you like your subjects enough. Right now the workload might not be too much and I guess this doesnt vary much into Yr 12. Except, there is alot of pressure and stress involved in Yr 12 and this might change your perspectives on things. Pick up all the subjects you want if you really think you'll love them but keep in mind that you dont have to keep them if it turns out that you hate the subject or that it's too much work or stress, you can drop them.
i'm undergoing something similar as well right now.
my strategy would be just to pick up as many units as u can and drop them (as Sarah said). it's much harder to pick up something midway through year, or to regret having not done a subject than to just do it then drop it (provided your timetable permits it).
i might pick up ext 2 maths and ext 2 english next year (the latter being unlikely though), and i'll probably drop it if i don't do well.
in subject choices last year, i didn't know whether to do ext english or just have the study periods. i chose ext. english and i'm happy with my choice....just an example.

capsicum

HSC
not if u think u can seriously handle it. like seriously. 10 units is all u need, but it's a good idea to have an extra 2 units as a backup incase you don't do too well in a subject. who's thinking of doing 10 or 12 units next year?

picaresque

HSC
I started Yr 12 with 15 units. It was ok for a term or two, but I dropped one of my subjects halfway through this term, because I had 3 major works and it really was getting insane and I needed to focus more on extn 2 maths. 13 is ok, but just barely. That's the best aspect of picking up a large amount of units: you can drop the classes that aren't working for you throughout the year (or you could be like me and drop one of your favourite classes. >.<). The only con would be that your overall rankings might be lower because you're more spread out before dropping.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
you said you arent struggling with the workload, so just keep going and as the time comes closer if you still arent struggling you may like too conside 14.
if you do 14, make sure you like all your subs and stuff though obviously

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i did 12 units cuz i had to (minimum of 4 subjects) and the workload was alrightie.

if u are already struggling with a subject and/or feel u dont particularly like it, then speak to ur teacher and enquire whether the hsc course is similar, if so, then drop it. With soem subjects the hsc ccourse is v diff to the prelim one, so do ask ur teacher to make a fair decision. Keep in mind that less units = more time for each subject.

kpq_sniper017

truly-in-bliss said:
i did 12 units cuz i had to (minimum of 4 subjects) and the workload was alrightie.

if u are already struggling with a subject and/or feel u dont particularly like it, then speak to ur teacher and enquire whether the hsc course is similar, if so, then drop it. With soem subjects the hsc ccourse is v diff to the prelim one, so do ask ur teacher to make a fair decision. Keep in mind that less units = more time for each subject.
and some subjects that are very different to the prelim. course include....?
i'm just curious, coz hsc chem. looks a fair bit harder than prelim. chem.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Business STudies was more theory in the hsc course. Maths and Econoomics required a fair bit of prelim knowledge, so if u didnt do well in prelim, u might find it harder than imagined...

santaslayer

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
and some subjects that are very different to the prelim. course include....?
i'm just curious, coz hsc chem. looks a fair bit harder than prelim. chem.
For me it was 2U RE. HSC was heaps hard. :)

kpq_sniper017

santaslayer said:
For me it was 2U RE. HSC was heaps hard. :)
u did SOR II?
does/did it offend u when people treated SOR I as a bludge? or is that y u chose SOR II??
;)

i looked in a revision guide for HSC SOR....there seems to be a lot of content on Aborigines and Aboriginal religions....is that the majority of the course?

kpq_sniper017

truly-in-bliss said:
Business STudies was more theory in the hsc course. Maths and Econoomics required a fair bit of prelim knowledge, so if u didnt do well in prelim, u might find it harder than imagined...
that's seems ok then.
coz i'm enjoying eco. and business right now.
btw. with eco. a few people have told me that macroeconomics is more difficult/harder to understand that microeconomics. does that hold any truth at all?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Macroeconomics isn't particulary difficult. Neither is microeconomics come to think about it :)

But looking at your sig, if your aiming for 99+ in all honesty it'd probably be a good move dropping general maths, since it scales so badly and most likely you wouldn't need to count it if you do solidly in your other subjects.

Oh, and pick up EE2, it's a great subject :) Just remember that time management is important...I'm very behind on my major works heh.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
14 u is kinda hectic but go for it if u can handle it

capsicum said:
not if u think u can seriously handle it. like seriously. 10 units is all u need, but it's a good idea to have an extra 2 units as a backup incase you don't do too well in a subject. who's thinking of doing 10 or 12 units next year?
me ^_^ :eek: 12 units will do me fine I think

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im currently doing 10u...freaked me out at the beginning but now I'm used to the idea .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)