• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 14 units too much for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

afta???

HSC
some of my friends neva work until the last minute ...
they say they need the last minute stress 'to motivate' them to even start!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
haha, that is so me
i've just started studying for my trials (in 2 days) and i gave up after an hour and here i am online...

kpq_sniper017

afta??? said:
some of my friends neva work until the last minute ...
they say they need the last minute stress 'to motivate' them to even start!
i think that's a cover-up for something we like to call "procrastination" ;)

bustinjustin

HSC
Wow! I'm just amazed that you were even allowed to do 14 units! In all honesty, how do you actually manage? Do you skip some classes and go to others &/or do you go to class during lunch, before and after school?
It did occcur to me but I didn't realies doing more than 12 units was possible. I really wanted to do French, but we couldn't even get a class of four people! I could've done it through the Open High with my friend (who is now the sole Frenchie and struggling)...and I think I should've, because I miss it so much.

Who else out there is mourning the loss of French? :(

afta???

HSC
most of our extensions are off line unless a whole lot does it like ext maths or eng.......
yes we hav lunch classes n worse of them all are before n after school ones .... but we dont get them just for overloading top 14 or 13 ...
in yr11 when we hav to do 12 units ... i think every single day a lunch class is on for some subjects

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
you can do 14 units at our school for prelim ( remember that 14 for prelim, is only 2 extra units) you just do ext maths and eng, and instead of having free periods take a classs in that line

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
14 units for prelim?!?!
i don't think anyone did that in our year... we had quite a lot of people doing 13, but not 14... we woulda died of stress :D

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ yeah i dont know whether we actually have in people this year doing 14 units in prelim. HEAPS of people do 13 units though ( coz they either do ext maths or ext eng and not the other)

my teacher suggested that i do 14 units 4 prelim and i just gave her this omg look and then she said fine do 12 and im like yah!!!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol! at least you were smart enough to do 14 units!
i was going to tackle 15 units this year (english extension, maths extension 2, japanese extension) but then i thought, hey, i'm not smart enough to do all this!
i ended up only doing 11 units anyways :D

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
im doin
2u Mathematics (HSC)
Ext 1 Mathematics (prelim)
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Adv English
SOR 1
that is 12 units and Yr 12 i will prob pick up Ext 2 maths and Ext 1 English, i want 2 give Ext1 english a go 2 see how i do if i dont like it ill drop it.
i will prob keep everything else and that will leave me with 13 units. i may drop Biology (its heeps of work but i luv it, its so intresting), but depends on how i go in chemistry and SOR 1
Year 12 my subjects will be
Ext 2 Maths
Ext 1 Maths
Phyics
Chem
Bio
English
Ext1 english
SOR 1
that there is 12 units (2u already completed) and that i think is good, i would say that if u want 2 drop a subject wait a term and see how it is

kpq_sniper017

JamiL said:
im doin
2u Mathematics (HSC)
Ext 1 Mathematics (prelim)
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Adv English
SOR 1
that is 12 units and Yr 12 i will prob pick up Ext 2 maths and Ext 1 English, i want 2 give Ext1 english a go 2 see how i do if i dont like it ill drop it.
i will prob keep everything else and that will leave me with 13 units. i may drop Biology (its heeps of work but i luv it, its so intresting), but depends on how i go in chemistry and SOR 1
Ext 2 Maths
Ext 1 Maths
Phyics
Chem
Bio
English
Ext1 english
SOR 1
that there is 12 units (2u already completed) and that i think is good, i would say that if u want 2 drop a subject wait a term and see how it is
extension 1 english might be a bit of a problem. q prerequisite of doing hsc ext 1 english is that u did it in yr11...u could, on the other hand, do both yr11 and yr12 at the same time, but this doesn't usually work out too well.

kpq_sniper017

btw.
if u complete 2u maths this year and do ext 2 maths, u still have to do 4u of maths. if u do ext 2 maths, u basically throw away ur 2u mark (unless u revert back to ext 1). so unless u complete ext 1 maths this year, then u'll still have 14 units (13 if you subtract ext 1 english).

afta???

HSC
JamiL said:
Ext 2 Maths
Ext 1 Maths
Phyics
Chem
Bio
English
Ext1 english
SOR 1
i just think people who do all three sciences are just crazy
no life......
sory if offended anyone

JamiL

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
btw.
if u complete 2u maths this year and do ext 2 maths, u still have to do 4u of maths. if u do ext 2 maths, u basically throw away ur 2u mark (unless u revert back to ext 1). so unless u complete ext 1 maths this year, then u'll still have 14 units (13 if you subtract ext 1 english).
umm no... ext2 students have 2 finish the 2u course which is 2u on there timetable whilst they has 1u of ext 1 n 1 unit of ext 2 so they might have 3 classes of maths but they usally have 1 or 2 classes. i wont have 2 do the 2u of maths that i have completed and will only have 2 do 10 classes of maths a fortnight not 20. its less stress and more time 2 concentrate on ext1 n ext 2. and the thing is with ext2 students(not accell) they learn sumthing in 2u, then will learn the 3u part n then the 4u part, so it comes is 1 big hit but with me i will of had time to perfect thet 2u stuff i can work on the 3u n 4u shit. trust me it makes it so much easyer

JamiL

HSC
afta??? said:
i just think people who do all three sciences are just crazy
no life......
sory if offended anyone
hahahaha yu would think, not realy i have a life as much as the next person ;). its mad doin all 3 sciences cos i luv 2 know how things work n they are all inter-related (like in cosmic energy its got heeps of chemistry, with atomic n quantum physic. in chemistry we are doin light energy in realtion 2 chemical enegry and that is sumthing i did in the 1st chapter of bio. also in maths calculs makes doin motions in physics heeps easyer.
its fun :) i sound like a real nerd now, well i play footy and crickert 2 and go 2 parties, n have fun (without sex n drugs/religious) jus like normal ppl. :)

classics_chic

HSC
The workload does get worse, and if you're struggling now, you'll die in the HSC. I recommend dropping to 11, it gives you somewhere to move if you bomb out, or 12 if you're really scared. I wouldn't recommend doing 14 to anyone unless they do really veggie subjects, which you're not.

Oh and in year 12 English, Advanced is the least amount of work, followed by Extension I, followed by Extension II so I'd keep that in mind!

kpq_sniper017

JamiL said:
umm no... ext2 students have 2 finish the 2u course which is 2u on there timetable whilst they has 1u of ext 1 n 1 unit of ext 2 so they might have 3 classes of maths but they usally have 1 or 2 classes. i wont have 2 do the 2u of maths that i have completed and will only have 2 do 10 classes of maths a fortnight not 20. its less stress and more time 2 concentrate on ext1 n ext 2. and the thing is with ext2 students(not accell) they learn sumthing in 2u, then will learn the 3u part n then the 4u part, so it comes is 1 big hit but with me i will of had time to perfect thet 2u stuff i can work on the 3u n 4u shit. trust me it makes it so much easyer
in year 11, u do 2u + 1u of ext 1.
if u want to do ext 2, then u don't do 2u maths in year 12. u only do ext 1 (2u) + ext 2 (2u). ext 2 people don't count 2u at all. so, even if u accelerate 2u maths u still have to complete hsc ext 1 + hsc ext 2 = 4 units i.e. 20 lessons per cycle in your case.

btw. english ext 1 - have u considered moving to ext 1 english this year (yr11), coz u can't do ext 1 english in yr12 without having done it in yr11 already.

afta???

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
if u want to do ext 2, then u don't do 2u maths in year 12. u only do ext 1 (2u) + ext 2 (2u). ext 2 people don't count 2u at all. so, even if u accelerate 2u maths u still have to complete hsc ext 1 + hsc ext 2 = 4 units i.e. 20 lessons per cycle in your case.
make it simpler......
if u do 3units of maths, ext1 maths is counted as a one unit course
if u do 4 units of maths, both ext 1 and 2 are counted as a two unit course

kpq_sniper017

yea, that does make it simpler :)
but i'm under the impressions that jamil is under the impression that ext 2 students do: 2u maths (2u) + ext 1 (1u) + ext 2 (1u)....then again, i might not be interpreting what jamil is saying very well.

JamiL

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:

btw. english ext 1 - have u considered moving to ext 1 english this year (yr11), coz u can't do ext 1 english in yr12 without having done it in yr11 already.

yess i understand Ext1 counts as 2u the uai n same with Ex2, but the set up of class(my school does it), as 10 classes as 2u 5classes as 3u n 5classes as 4u (2weeks)
cos when u do Ext2 yu still have to do the rest of 2u and all the 2u (bar HSC) exams to fnish the course, n i wont have 2 do that, so ill have extra studi period

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)