• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 3 sciences too much (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nup, not enough if you ask me.
I would've done 5 if they ran Earth and Environmental at my school and if the physics teacher wasn't retarded.

CCMc

HSC
3 sciences is neither hard or easy, it is challenging. While I did not do any sciences I know through friends that it took a lot of their time tackling 3 sciences, particularly if the 3 were Bio, Chem and Physics. 2 of my friends dropped Physics who did that combination. My cousin is starting Year 11 this year and I along with her parents advised her to do Economics instead of Physics. She is doing Bio and Chem, Economics and Physics were on the same line. I told her that while economics is challenging, it would diversify her knowledge a bit more while also stimulating her analysis of issues that change constantly, unlike Sciences which tend to have the same content and not rely on current affairs (Earth and Environmental apparently been an exception). She took my advice and I don't think she would regret. While I don't know you, 3 Sciences is a specialization, and you have to ask yourself, are you set on what you want to do so early on in your education?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
To my friend, the worst thing about three sciences was... the three HSC exams on three consecutive days.

Otherwise, he seemed to cope fine - getting in the upper echelons in ranks and doing pretty well.

LabGirl

HSC
N/A
I studied physics and chem then picked bio up for the first time during first year uni with no trouble. If you're going to take only two then I would strongly suggest choosing physics and chem as the concepts are slightly harder to grasp for some then bio - giving yourself an extra year to get to grips with these is useful if you think you will be pursuing a course that will require you to take these subjects e.g. med. All I can say is that having now done a chemistry degree with honours and tutored HSC and first year uni students, those that did chemistry and physics before they came to uni progress a lot faster in 1st year chem than those that didn't.

For those of you studying Year 11 & 12 chemistry check out my new iPhone app HSC Chem that just released on the app store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)