Is 3 unit mathematics (ext 1 maths) that hard? (1 Viewer)

Makematics

HSC
I love (not really ;) ) how every thread JT or Oblivious comments on turns into an irrelevant discussion on one of the following:
1. NSG/PLC women
2. Your relationship issues
3. You guys competing over something
4. All of the above

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I love (not really ;) ) how every thread JT or Oblivious comments on turns into an irrelevant discussion on one of the following:
1. NSG/PLC women
4. All of the above
5. Waiting for you to enter conversation.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
1. NSG/PLC women
4. All of the above
Im still laughing at how this is still applicable.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
If you did 5.3 in year 10, ext should be easy/alright
Business studies is straight up boring, unless you like it ofc

Last edited:

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Well Proofs may be needed a lot so familiarisation is required and also understanding. Overall its hardwork and dedication> :)

Cheers and Good Luck

Kristyn.ly

HSC
Look basically if youre only average in maths, then is it really a good choice to try extension? I do extension and yes, it is hard, however its not ridiculously hard. If you go ahead with it, being only average as you say, you will have to put alot of work into it. Extension subjects are for people who 1) like them and 2) are competent in that field. But i recon give it a try and see if you can handle it, then drop it if you cant.
If I’m getting in the 90’s for maths in yr 10, should I do extension 1 maths? I’m rlly scared that I will struggle

SplashJuice

HSC
If I’m getting in the 90’s for maths in yr 10, should I do extension 1 maths? I’m rlly scared that I will struggle
Pretty sure nobody above is going to respond as it's an old thread. Anyways as people has said above in the thread you should give it a go because you might want to keep it and you can always drop but never go back up.

tito981

HSC
if you do 5.3 maths and get 90's in year 10 you will find extension maths fairly easy in year 11.

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
Do u have any advice when doing ext 1 maths? Thank you so much?
Just do the problems honestly, and using multiple textbooks if you’re using mif then USE OTHER TEXTBOOKS As well, mif have really easy questions so you'd basically be screwed for upcoming exams if your school is using it..

Kristyn.ly

HSC
Just do the problems honestly, and using multiple textbooks if you’re using mif then USE OTHER TEXTBOOKS As well, mif have really easy questions so you'd basically be screwed for upcoming exams if your school is using it..
Oh our school uses that, are u sayings maths in focus? What textbooks do you recommend to use? Which topics for ext 1 maths in yr 11, would u say that is the hardest? And what topics do u normally do first?

tito981

HSC
Do u have any advice when doing ext 1 maths? Thank you so much?
when doing mx1 dont fall behind on work e.g. not doing hw for more then a week or so, etc. But since ur in yr 10 i suggest getting the extension 1 cambridge textbook off a year 11 and maybe starting some of the chapters, the first 4 chapters in the text book is at a year 10 level, but if you think ur past that then you can start the chapters students tend to find a bit harder e.g. calculus, trig, etc.

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
Oh our school uses that, are u sayings maths in focus? What textbooks do you recommend to use? Which topics for ext 1 maths in yr 11, would u say that is the hardest? And what topics do u normally do first?
Yep, I agree with @tito981 cambridge ext 1 text book amd Like he said try the first 4 chapters it’s not that hard..its similar to year the I guess in a way

Kristyn.ly

HSC
when doing mx1 dont fall behind on work e.g. not doing hw for more then a week or so, etc. But since ur in yr 10 i suggest getting the extension 1 cambridge textbook off a year 11 and maybe starting some of the chapters, the first 4 chapters in the text book is at a year 10 level, but if you think ur past that then you can start the chapters students tend to find a bit harder e.g. calculus, trig, etc.
If u dont mind if I ask, have u done ur hsc? Does extension maths scale u high? I’m worried that it’s hard and I’m not sure if I’m capable. Do we use trig a lot?

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
If u dont mind if I ask, have u done ur hsc? Does extension maths scale u high? I’m worried that it’s hard and I’m not sure if I’m capable. Do we use trig a lot?
Nope not yet. Scaling don‘t really matter imo, it’s actually if you do well on that subject or not, you might think oh I’m gonna choose all the high scaling subjects but If you can’t handle it or do bad In it then what’s the point? Trig yes there‘s further trig as well.. but anyways if you choose subjects like 3 sciences and eco and if you can Handle it then that’s good by all means go ahead.. just be careful when choosing subjects look at what you’re good at and not the scale. Heck you can even get a 90+ atar with art, textiles, languages...

Kristyn.ly

HSC
Nope not yet. Scaling don‘t really matter imo, it’s actually if you do well on that subject or not, you might think oh I’m gonna choose all the high scaling subjects but If you can’t handle it or do bad In it then what’s the point? Trig yes there‘s further trig as well.. but anyways if you choose subjects like 3 sciences and eco and if you can Handle it then that’s good by all means go ahead.. just be careful when choosing subjects look at what you’re good at and not the scale. Heck you can even get a 90+ atar with art, textiles, languages...
May I ask if calculus and permutations and combinations are hard? What would be the hardest topics in your opinion?

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
May I ask if calculus and permutations and combinations are hard? What would be the hardest topics in your opinion?
Perms and combs and further calculus but then again it might just be me that finds it hard

tito981

HSC
maths extension 2 (which you can only do in yr 12) and maths extension 1 both scale really well, provided you do a bit better than average. I would say that the focus of the higher level maths courses is more on calculus (the topic of calculus may seem daunting but it is just an extension to everything youve learnt thus far), you can always drop to advanced which is basically the difficulty of 5.3 year 10 math imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)