Is a commerce degree hard? (1 Viewer)

so_what

HSC
If you have not done any business or economics in high school. Plus, your maths is not exactly the greatest (i.e only 70-something in HSC mathematics).

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
depends on your major. if youre doing finance or accounting you're going to have a harder time than most. business management/international business is mostly theory, strategy and people skills.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have not done any business or economics in high school. Plus, your maths is not exactly the greatest (i.e only 70-something in HSC mathematics).
I do business/commerce now, so far, the maths is quite simple. But as isildurrrr1 said, finance and accounting majors require you to have a higher competency at maths.

epiphany50

HSC
depends on your major. if youre doing finance or accounting you're going to have a harder time than most. business management/international business is mostly theory, strategy and people skills.
Hellmuth

drpepper127

HSC
Uni Grad
All it means is some concepts will be new, whereas if you did those subjects they might be a bit familiar. The maths... I have friends that did general and they're doing fine.

Kurby

HSC
N/A
I do business/commerce now, so far, the maths is quite simple. But as isildurrrr1 said, finance and accounting majors require you to have a higher competency at maths.
Did you say accounting requires high level of mathematics? The hardest thing mathematically is adding and subtracting correctly. lol....

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't do any business or economics in high school, and I did general maths and finished with an low 80s mark.

I've yet to struggle because "i didn't do that in HS" as it were.

I've found some tasks more challenging than others, particularly in maths, but there hasn't been anything where I've failed to understand eventually.

I think the biggest issue studying commerce at uni is, in the first year, you generally study from a variety of "core subjects" that have nothing to do with your major. I know for me doing subjects like marketing were horrible because I just didn't like the sort of work we were doing. For somebody doing a marketing major though, they might find accounting to be horrible!

In short, you will find some things harder than others; That's inevitable. But not doing subjects like economics in HS won't be the difference between you failing and passing. It might make getting a HD harder because your competing against people with some background knowledge, but it isn't like "oh well you learnt this at HS so we won't teach you"

soccerjesus

HSC
heallo im wonderthinking about my atavatar, if i get absorbed 70 is hard commerce degree in for me? my mayte we called shim lucas kairuz got 80 atatrvatar and is cutting peopleings hair

soccerjesus

HSC
actualy me now wonderthinking if i getting 20/10 for my mark exam, my mayte jacob yazback is track absorbed on mind 90+ avatar

a19901213

HSC
Accounting and finance are both relatively easy comparing to economic, which can really be a issue if you're not good at math..

HSC
N/A
that's bullshit.

the math needed in economics is nothing more than solving simultaneous equations

accounting is hard not because of the math, but understanding what needs to be done

for me personally, i find economics easier than accounting (even though my accounting marks are better so far). As for whether comm is hard if you suck at math? i'm on a D average in 3/4 of my comm subjects so far (lol finals are going to rape me) but i actually struggled a lot with math during the hsc. I ended up epically failing 3u. LOL.

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure it gets much harder LOL.
but he's asking about a commerce degree, which only requires micro. Obvs an eco degree has a lot of math in it. LOL.

That's why i've decided to stay in comm/sci unless i somehow manage a better micro and macro mark than psych 1a and 1b marks

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
but he's asking about a commerce degree, which only requires micro. Obvs an eco degree has a lot of math in it. LOL.

That's why i've decided to stay in comm/sci unless i somehow manage a better micro and macro mark than psych 1a and 1b marks
oh right

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
nah the maths in higher level finance/economics (statistics and shit) is much harder than accounting

Assad

HSC
So lets say ur taking 3u maths and business studies? How hard would it be to get a 6.5+ GPA in this course. I am a competent maths student, and maths/biz are my two best subjects this year in the hsc? Would commerce with like finance major be best for me then?

And do lecturers generally award high level marks in commerce courses or not really?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
So lets say ur taking 3u maths and business studies? How hard would it be to get a 6.5+ GPA in this course. I am a competent maths student, and maths/biz are my two best subjects this year in the hsc? Would commerce with like finance major be best for me then?

And do lecturers generally award high level marks in commerce courses or not really?
Mathematics Extension 1 is largely sufficient for a Bachelor of Business/Commerce with a finance major. Mathematics Advanced is also considered to be sufficient since Finance requires little knowledge of Mathematics Advanced content.

It is good to be taking Business Studies and thinking about studying a Bachelor of Business/Commerce as knowlege gained and concepts learned in this subject (and to a lesser extent, Economics) will likely be revisited, particularly in your first year and (possibly) in your second year. This likely depends on the major.

You can definitely achieve high marks in a Bachelor of Business/Commerce, irrespective of the major, although one of the main differences is that people who like maths may find that majors involving maths may be easier to achieve favourable results in, as opposed to those who don’t like maths, who may consequently find the Finance major difficult to achieve good results in.

While a 6.5+ GPA is definitely achievable, keep in mind that this is a rather high GPA, meaning that it may be difficult to achieve. Further, your academic position (i.e. results + GPA/WAM) don’t depend on your lecturers to the extent that they depend on the quality of your own work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)