Is a crappy ATAR gonna screw me? (1 Viewer)

Reimuxz7

HSC
Bro I'm so close to fucking breaking down because I got an ATAR of 68.70 which isn't bad, but considered the courses I selected are 70.00 to 80.00 to be guranteed I'm scared I'll be neglected from uni. I'm espeically scared to tell my mum because she will freak out on me hard and it doesn't help she checks every bloody day about it. Sorry for being an incoherant mess, I just needed to rant somewhere to someone because all my mates aren't going to uni and I'm stuck here stressed out. I legit don't know I'm going to do if I dont get accepted, I would consider the ADF or something but my mum is going to cry and I dont want that

O01x

HSC
There's several pathways for you to eventually get into the course you want to do such as TAFE-->University, lower ATAR university degree --> your actual university degree. Might take an extra 6-12 months but in the end you end up doing what you initially planned for and also isn't that long of a time in the grand scheme of things.

Reimuxz7

HSC
There's several pathways for you to eventually get into the course you want to do such as TAFE-->University, lower ATAR university degree --> your actual university degree. Might take an extra 6-12 months but in the end you end up doing what you initially planned for and also isn't that long of a time in the grand scheme of things.
I was planning on doing Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences which I'd study 1st year Human Anatomy and Physiology then hop over to Medical Studies. I'm not sure if thats possible now unless they offer those electives for Bachelor of Science degrees which I dont know about or know how to find about that.

quickoats

HSC
If you're into medicine you might want to start looking into postgrad options as it's very hard to slide into an undergraduate program (extremely competitive).
Not sure about how things work in Adelaide but here in NSW, people tend to be eligible for some sort of bonus points that they might not even know about so they can get into their degree of choice even if their raw atar is a couple points below the specified cutoff. Note that some competitive degrees may not have these available e.g. medicine or law

Reimuxz7

HSC
NSW, people tend to be eligible for some sort of bonus points that they might not even know about so they can get into their degree of choice even if their raw atar is a couple points below the specified cutoff. Note that some competitive degrees may not have these available e.g. medicine or law
bonus points?
That is with bonus points unfournately. I got fucked up hard, not everday you get your hard earned A in Science (18/20) dropkicked and scaled down to 15.60/20....

Reimuxz7

HSC
Second manner to discuss

How the fuck do I approach my mum? She's already pissed off at maximum level at me saying I didn't check my results. If I say my ATAR she is actually going to murder me. My dad might be chill about it and keep it a secret, but my mum is going to slaughter me. I can't explain shit to her because she doesn't understand how Australia works and is still stuck in 1992 Yugoslavia where she reckons I need to fax and print my results...

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
It will be ok, I'm a second year EE, and I have noticed that there are more tradies in my classes trying to get an engineering education than high school-leavers. This might be for a career progression or want to understand the technical aspect of the built environment. So if tradies can do uni, so can you, hence ATAR is not a factor

dasfas

HSC
I was planning on doing Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences which I'd study 1st year Human Anatomy and Physiology then hop over to Medical Studies. I'm not sure if thats possible now unless they offer those electives for Bachelor of Science degrees which I dont know about or know how to find about that.
Don't do medical science if you want to get into medicine. Med sci has zero employability. If you don't get into med (which is not unlikley, as it is very competitive), then you're screwed and cannot enter the workforce. You'd probably have to do more studies, get more in-debt, and end up regretting your degree. Med needs no premed degree, pick something you are a) passionate about b) will get you employed.

Reimuxz7

HSC
Don't do medical science if you want to get into medicine. Med sci has zero employability. If you don't get into med (which is not unlikley, as it is very competitive), then you're screwed and cannot enter the workforce. You'd probably have to do more studies, get more in-debt, and end up regretting your degree. Med needs no premed degree, pick something you are a) passionate about b) will get you employed.
On the uni website it is possible to transfer over provided you have a GPA of 5.0 and completed the UCAT to Medical Studies like nothing happened or what else I've heard. If not Medical Sciences I might as well go Marine Biology because I know I'm gonna be too stupid for Chemical or Mechanical Engineering

quickoats

HSC
On the uni website it is possible to transfer over provided you have a GPA of 5.0 and completed the UCAT to Medical Studies like nothing happened or what else I've heard. If not Medical Sciences I might as well go Marine Biology because I know I'm gonna be too stupid for Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
Sorry to rain on your parade but for really competitive degrees like that, the minimum requirement generally is not enough to gain admission. Not sure what the cutoff would exactly be, but I would wager that it's very close to 7. 5 GPA is a low credit average which is pretty standard in uni so I don't think that's the pure cutoff. Remember that the medical science is filled with people who didn't get into med, which includes those that just missed out (98+ers) so you're essentially competing against those for very limited spots.

Nobody is too stupid for engineering - it's a big learning curve from school to uni and you never know how you'll find it - some people who did shite at school end up doing really well and vice versa. If engo is something you're interested in, then go for it.

icycledough

HSC
Agree ... for more clarity on things NOT to do, there is an extensive guide on Medical Students Online, a similar forum to BoS, but purely for medicine and dentistry. As others have said, if you wanted to consider going through the medical science route, note that it is very competitive, and there is a small group of students who will be able to progress to an interview, so not even getting into med directly. You're much better off doing a degree you enjoy, where the competition won't be the same, you can engage in collaborative work with other peers (who probably will just be looking for a pass) and trying your luck there. Keep in mind though that med is extremely competitive (every year, there are like around 15,000 applicants only for like 1500 spots; so essentially, a 1 in 10 ratio).

nourished.

HSC
Second manner to discuss

How the fuck do I approach my mum? She's already pissed off at maximum level at me saying I didn't check my results. If I say my ATAR she is actually going to murder me. My dad might be chill about it and keep it a secret, but my mum is going to slaughter me. I can't explain shit to her because she doesn't understand how Australia works and is still stuck in 1992 Yugoslavia where she reckons I need to fax and print my results...
You tell your dad first, and then go as a team to confront mum.

icycledough

HSC
dad ain't gonna do nothing, if anything he's getting whooped along with u. Angry moms are another breed trust
That's so true; especially if you're an ethnic guy, you'll realise that your dad will often be on your side for many things (for e.g drinking or going out on late nights with mates), but it's always the mothers who end up correcting not only her son, but even her husband.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)