• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is Actuarial Studies really that boring?? (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Quant finance is more mathematical and pays higher than actuarial studies. However quant finance is alot less job security.

I think it is worth noticing that quant finance requires alot more experience and a masters in mathematics degree at the lest (or so they say.)

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
LOL. I'm doing Actuarial Studies/Law at Uni. It's hectic as. It isn't boring. It's actually interesting (if you like a lot of chance games, finding out mortality rates, present values, excel spreadsheets, etc) and you do get a social life. The work load is huge ... but I guess that's because of the double degree I do.

It's interesting because it's not the shitty "what's the probability mary gets a blue marble out of a bag" like in HSC maths. It's more like.. "What's the probability Mary will survive to age 65, retire with a benefit of $45K and receive extra from an investment?" and at the same time you learn a lot about how the world works. My father's an optometrist but is heavily involved with a lot of finance sectors and things... so it's great to finally be able to understand what he's tlaking about and even debate!

The most boring parts would be the Excel spreadsheets (there's a billion to make --") and Statistics lectures. =X That's just because my lecturer's boring as. The content is pretty good.
If you enjoy maths.. it's a great course.

but.. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LAW! (even though jurisprudence is a piece of shit) it's really interesting, you meet a lot of different people and you definitely get the chance to have your say.

A social life depends on how well you manage ANY course.

So..yeah.. Actuarial Studies is Great. You DO get a social life.. just not as much as someone doing say... arts. You WILL find that most of the time...people are going to the movies, shopping, etc during the week.. whille you're studying your ass off. But then again... you'll be the one laughing when you make like $60-70K before graduating while they're struggling with $33K. =)
u at Macq or UNSW?

Last edited:

ascentyx

HSC
sounds like she's 1st year at macq. i do actuarial and app fin at macq and we are learning what she's talking about. i guess u already know that aswell pwnage because u do it too XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)