is anyone doing thucydides?? (1 Viewer)

dead_god

i am doing thucydides and don't sctually know anything about what we are supposed to do

can anyone help me??? please

Yami

Yes, I am using Thucydides as one of my historians for the first section of the X-History exam. If you want to use him, what you need to do is find a some bit of info on his background (context), but most importantly, his history (The Peloponnesian War). Find out how, why and when he wrote his history (in other words, the historiagraphy). Add in a few quotes, and you're set for Thucydides. I apologise for not explaining this well, but I can't really put my method of investigating historians in words. Hope this helps, anyway.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
We haven't started the ext course yet but we will be doing Thyusidides for our case study

tink 18

Are you also doing Herodotos? if so you can compare the two if need be.
Anyway i think as Yami said know his personal context, his belief as a historian i.e 'Traditionalist' even though the concept of traditionalist v relativist wasnt around yet, his methodology and quotes. Basically historiography!

Here is a quick quote you might be able to use.
'I lived through the whole of it [the Peloponnesian war], being of an age to understand what was happening, and i put my mind to the subject so as to get an accurate view of it.'

Thats the only quote i can remember at the moment but if i remember more and you need some i'll be happy to post them for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)