Is B.Pharm a good place to start if I want to find cures for diseases? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparen

Is there any reason why you think it will go up a bit?, or just a guess?
no it was meant to go down, sorry.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparen

I'd say ~83
less demand for the course due to being extremely saturated

Just go look around your local area

person working at a pharmacy from tafe: $22 hour and if he/she makes a mistake "oops"

person working hard for a degree at uni for 4 years: $25 an hour and if he/she makes a mistake - dead

besides, a lot of people who do pharmacy nowadays just open up their own place. Though, you have to consider the competition around you and if you're not well known within the area, your business will most likely fail

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

However, I do know some pharmacists that make a lot of money because they've been around before the saturation so they get most of the customers from the local area

and then you have those guys that get someone walking into their store once every 34 blue moons and that doesn't mean that person is necessarily going to buy something too :p

sghguos

HSC
N/A

However, I do know some pharmacists that make a lot of money because they've been around before the saturation so they get most of the customers from the local area

and then you have those guys that get someone walking into their store once every 34 blue moons and that doesn't mean that person is necessarily going to buy something too :p
JEEZ so negative about it.

I want to work in a pharmacy company. btw is this a good degree if I want to do research later in find cures for diseases?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

I want to work in a pharmacy company. btw is this a good degree if I want to do research later in find cures for diseases?
what you mean negative

I basically said that if you're decent and you're well known, you'll be fine.

I don't know lol

sghguos

HSC
N/A

what you mean negative

I basically said that if you're decent and you're well known, you'll be fine.

I don't know lol
Not everyone is "known"

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Dont you have eyes to read your posts (no offence :p)
I did mention the "known" thing

I said "if you're well known..."

I never said "EVERYONE IS KNOWN HOORAY"

I am the Law

HSC

Spiritual Being is right!

He's quite helpful and credible also

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

I suspect the reason for the decline in demand for Pharmacy is the fact that there are very few job prospects after graduation. A couple of years ago, it was a lot easier to get employed after completing a B.Pharm but nowadays, many graduates have to move to rural areas to find good employment. Many end up in retail pharmacy which isn't what the majority of graduates aim for. I think ultimately people who graduate with B.Pharm want to work in a hospital (or perhaps work their way up a big pharmaceutical company) but limited funding means there are very few available positions making them super competitive and only the cream of the crop are successful.

I for one, am so glad I did not end up doing Pharmacy. It was definitely a serious consideration when I was in Year 12 and it was something my parents wanted me to do. When I was in Year 12, the job prospects were very good (it was perceived as the go to degree for a science student if you want a 'guaranteed' job) so it was a very attractive option (UAI cut off was around 96 back then) but by the time my cohort graduated, the good jobs were very difficult to come by. A lot of my friends ended up doing further study (e.g. medicine, dentistry) or ended up finding employment in other industries. Those who stuck with pharmacy were often those who really excelled in the area or moved out to rural areas. Also, apparently the average starting salary of a pharmacy graduate at the moment (not necessarily back then) is one of the lowest of all the disciplines (see the Graduate Survey) possibly because a lot of them end up in retail pharmacy at best or work in some entry level position completely different to pharmacy.

Not trying to turn anyone off pharmacy or anything lol (who knows, the employment prospects might pick up by the time you graduate :p) but at the end of the day, it all comes down to doing something you are genuinely interested in.

Last edited:

jason2kool

HSC

Very very minimal job opportunities man

kylie1D

HSC
Re: I havent done any sciences, Should I still do b.pharmacy.

But that is the present, 4 years later there is growth apparently in the pharmacy industry
No that's not true, it only looks downhill from now. There are way too many entering the course atm which would result in too many finding jobs in four years time. As well, they have also cut funding for pharmacy

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Re: I havent done any sciences, Should I still do b.pharmacy.

also pharmacy is fucking hard

Like you can probably cram and pass or get credits and shiz, but you probably won't understand half of it without that science background.

And like, there is barely that much maths in first year pharmacy anyways, it's like pharmacy maths, mostly advanced statistics and then not much other maths, so not much maths at school will help you (in fact doing general probably would've helped more since that is more statistics based (even though the notation and difficulty is very lacking)).
just curious, how much adv stats is in pharm?
I can't imagine there being too much of that.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Is B.Pharm a good place to start if I want to find cures for diseases?

My ultimate dream is to become a scientist who finds out cures for diseases (I know it sounds eh... and unrealistic..)

Do you think B.Pharm is a good place to start for me?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly answer, no.

Medical science or advanced science.

Yay!

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Honestly answer, no.

Medical science or advanced science.

Yay!
Sorry, I'm not going to listen to what your saying.

Apparently your famous for trolling and saying bull shit. According to the HSC threads.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, I'm not going to listen to what your saying.

Apparently your famous for trolling and saying bull shit. According to the HSC threads.
Example?

I don't really troll the HSC section so I dunno…

But like, if you wanna do B.Pharm and find yourself in debt and unemployed 3 years into the future then go ahead, it's your choice. :spin:

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Example?

I don't really troll the HSC section so I dunno…

But like, if you wanna do B.Pharm and find yourself in debt and unemployed 3 years into the future then go ahead, it's your choice. :spin:
Yeah sorry if I was rude. I just heard from alot of people saying you troll and say unecessary stuff to turn down people's morals. Anyway I guess I was mistaken.

Hows job prospects for medical science like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)