is clonal selection part of the bio syllabus?? (1 Viewer)

lildumpling86

HSC
hi everyone!
i was doing an atar notes topic test and for one of the module 7 topic tests (specifically the immunity section), i come across a question asking about the process of clonal selection.
i've never covered this in class so i was wondering if it's part of the syllabus?

Leadmen4y

HSC
i encountered this too, it's not specified so its unlikely but possible, maybe in a stimulus question. it's quite an important concept in adaptive community so probs good to know

HasanJamali

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, my school did end up covering, albeit very briefly. It's just a particular theory for how our immune system works adaptively and I guess it's good to know but it is not directly in the syllabus. Although, it is in both of the HSC textbooks I used (Pearson and Biology in Focus). If you want, here's a quick rundown:

Clonal selection refers to the theory that each B lymphocyte has its own unique B cell receptor which when binded to specific antigens result in the production of specific effector cells that have been ‘selected’ for an immune response against the antigen. The process occurs as such:
  1. A hematopoietic stem cell differentiates to produce immature lymphocytes.
  2. These B cells have many different antigen receptors (paratopes in BCRs) that are made to interact with a bunch of antigens.
  3. Those which are activated by random antigens are stimulated to undergo cloning, enabling formation of plasma cells and memory B cells specific to the counteraction of the invading pathogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)