Is commerce/engineering a good combination? (1 Viewer)

PierreThomas

HSC
I've noticed a lot of commerce students combine their degree with engineering - why is this?
Is it good if I'm planning to get into investment banking and finance?

ebbygoo

HSC
I've noticed a lot of commerce students combine their degree with engineering - why is this?
Is it good if I'm planning to get into investment banking and finance?
Why exactly would you do engineering if you want to go into IB?

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I have friends who have done it with jobs at Macquarie, they were legitimately interested in both as a career though.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Why exactly would you do engineering if you want to go into IB?
I know a friend whose a trade team leader in commbank who studied chem engo at unsw.

If you want to go into IB, best combo is commerce/adv math.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Engineering says you're good with numbers and you're very precise. Also helps if you have subject matter expertise in a particular field as these days straight Commerce alone.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a friend whose a trade team leader in commbank who studied chem engo at unsw.

If you want to go into IB, best combo is commerce/adv math.
I would second this as well.

Also, Comm/Eng can be very useful if you are interested in entering consulting as the Eng. component should give you a better appreciation of specific industries, and a strong understanding on project management/feasibility studies, etc.

asi9

HSC
Wrong. The best degree is Com/LLB - the evidence is pretty clear when close to 75% of interns at BBIBs in Sydney are this combination.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wrong. The best degree is Com/LLB - the evidence is pretty clear when close to 75% of interns at BBIBs in Sydney are this combination.
I'd say the best degree is the one which you can do well enough to leave the right impression and actually get a job. Comm/Law may be the most common of the interns but there's no point doing it if you get rubbish marks despite maximum effort. IMO the top of Comm/<whatever> would be far more impressive.

asi9

HSC
The way I see it, the people that do get into IB are smart enough to excel in whichever degree they choose. Com/LLB just happens to be the degree most of those candidates choose to do (probably because of its high ATAR requirement since most IB prospects do pretty well in high school as well).

Other benefits are:

1. Decision-makers in recruitment see Com/LLB as a more prestigious degree than other combinations
2. It's 5 years, giving students plenty of time to pad their resume as well as have multiple attempts at internships

In my opinion, the best degree for someone wishing to pursue a career in IB/MBB is USYD's Com/LLB (besides UNSW's Co-op Finance program which gives you 1.5 years of IB experience), since they have industry placement programs as well as their UCLA/Washington D.C. relationship which gives the top candidates a combined ~6 months of experience in their first two years of university.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
The way I see it, the people that do get into IB are smart enough to excel in whichever degree they choose. Com/LLB just happens to be the degree most of those candidates choose to do (probably because of its high ATAR requirement since most IB prospects do pretty well in high school as well).

Other benefits are:

1. Decision-makers in recruitment see Com/LLB as a more prestigious degree than other combinations
2. It's 5 years, giving students plenty of time to pad their resume as well as have multiple attempts at internships

In my opinion, the best degree for someone wishing to pursue a career in IB/MBB is USYD's Com/LLB (besides UNSW's Co-op Finance program which gives you 1.5 years of IB experience), since they have industry placement programs as well as their UCLA/Washington D.C. relationship which gives the top candidates a combined ~6 months of experience in their first two years of university.
do you think USYD's Comm/Engineering get the same impression as Comm/LLB at USYD ?

asi9

HSC
Idk about USYD in particular, but Goldies 2015 grad IBD intakes had a few engineering students from UNSW and Auckland Uni. One of them is pretty hot as well lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)