Is doing a song for a related text a bad idea? (1 Viewer)

13abie

HSC
I wanna do a song for my back up belonging related, and for my 2nd conflicting perspectives related.
Would anyone avoid it? I need to get 95+ in english so I don't wanna risk it if people have specific reasons on why it shouldnt be done.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I would avoid it.

If you want to do well using a song, you need to analyse the compositional component of the song (the cadences, staccato etc), and not just the lyrical component. You will not do well just analysing the lyrical component of a song. Hence it's so much more difficult than say, a poem.

jnney

lemon
HSC
It is a bad idea. My teacher has constantly told my class to avoid poems and songs.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yes, it's usually a bad idea. The reason for this is you have to analyse all the elements of a song, not just the lyrics. Things like rhythm, tempo, key signature, instruments, pitch, dynamics etc. need to be looked at. Unless you have the musical background to do this, it's not advised.

Additionally, most songs picked by HSC students lack the necessary depth for critical analysis.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing one for into the world and as a backup for belonging.
But I analyse the tempo, timbre, etc.

sunshinegirl

HSC
If you're still around on this thread and considering using your songs - DON'T DO IT!!!!

Songs are not good related texts. They lack the depth and complexity other texts have. If you are desperate for new related texts use a poem (Oogeroo Nunuccal or Seamus Heaney are particularly good) or a painting where you can analyse heaps of visual techniques (try Frida Kahlo - seach 'Frida Kahlo PBS' on google and use some of their analysis points; this site is excellent. Otherwise, Goya or any Indigenous art would work).

Hope this helps and good luck for tuesday :)

b3kh1t

HSC
For module C, I am doing history and memory ( Levertov's poems), I have two related texts and one of them is the song ( the other is a documentary), I was only nineteen and my teacher said it was fine. BTW he is a HSC marker and he actually recommended it so I'm not sure any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)