Is economics first year hard? (1 Viewer)

deathpool87

HSC
N/A
I am trying to get into bachelors of commerce but might not reach the ATAR requirement. Because of this I put economics as my third preference, so that I could transfer from economics to commerce during second year. The problem is I am worried that economics may make it difficult to transfer, if I do badly on one or more courses. I am specifically worried about the maths courses like quantitative analysis. I am worried about maths, as I dropped maths in year 12 because I wanted to focus on the subjects I did best at. While I don't do maths and do sometimes struggle grasping maths concepts (because of a general dislike for the course), I am willing to work really hard and study to ensure that I can get the 75% WAM average to transfer. Is it possible to achieve this despite little learning in maths with hard work or should I attempt another course?

Edit: I also did find the maths part of business studies to be really easy if that is any consolation.

itoki2288

HSC
N/A
Quantitative Analysis will be hard if you haven't done at least 2 unit in HSC. I did General Math, and it was hard.

You should be find if you study though, just have to study a bit more.

HSC
1st year econ subjects are all relatively easy from what ive experienced, 75 wam would be easy to achieve to transfer. Math is minimal in 1st year econ, except econ1202 maybe avoid that but still relative basic maths. you can choose courses within commerce anyway nothing making you choose purely econ subjects

Last edited:
HSC
I will have to do econ1202 since it is a core subject, at least according to this it is https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/pr...uate/bachelor-economics-bec#Program-structure
From what this website tells me I have first year courses all chosen for me or am I misunderstanding?
How hard would you say econ1202 is, could you give me an example of one of the questions that could come up?
It is a core subject if you planned to complete your degree in economics but since you are wanting to transfer to commerce (?), for the popular majors in commerce; finance, accounting etc. it is not needed for those specific majors so no need to do it if that was the plan. If you were planning on business economics major, financial economics etc. different story then. The handbook is just a guide and not set rule of subjects to take at specific times, for example mgmt1001 in my commerce degree is a compulsory core i won't complete to third or fourth year.

I am just guessing from your post what your intentions are, if i had an idea of what majors you were interested in that would be better. Just keep in mind that if are just doing an economics degree to transfer you don't have to take the recommended subjects for that degree, you could take subjects as if you were completing a commerce degree and as long as you get the transfer all is well

deathpool87

HSC
N/A
Oh I think I get it now. So I can just mimic Bcomm degree first year and transfer right into it. So for example lets say I wanted to do a commerce major like Business economics that needs econ1202, I could miss the course first year and complete it in second or third year to be able to complete the major. I won't be locked out of majors based on first year classes right?

Well in terms of majors I only know that I want to do Finance, i'm not really sure of the other majors I was a bit worried about what majors I should complete. If the transfer does end up failing and I somehow get stuck in economics, would I just have to take the classes that I missed to complete with an economics degree right?

Also thank you so much ninjaturtles10 for giving so much information about uni, it worked a lot differently than I thought.

HSC
Oh I think I get it now. So I can just mimic Bcomm degree first year and transfer right into it. So for example lets say I wanted to do a commerce major like Business economics that needs econ1202, I could miss the course first year and complete it in second or third year to be able to complete the major. I won't be locked out of majors based on first year classes right?

Well in terms of majors I only know that I want to do Finance, i'm not really sure of the other majors I was a bit worried about what majors I should complete. If the transfer does end up failing and I somehow get stuck in economics, would I just have to take the classes that I missed to complete with an economics degree right?

Also thank you so much ninjaturtles10 for giving so much information about uni, it worked a lot differently than I thought.
Yes that's exactly right, you won't be locked out of majors, the fact that you are planning on a finance major gives you a lot of flexibility in that sense, if you were to complete economics, business economics majors later on it should be no problem. Since you can do two majors in b-comm (finance plus something else, accounting works well) or two majors in b-eco (finance/economics), the (economics or econometrics or financial economics) being a compulsory major in b-eco of course.

If i were you these would be the first year subjects i would start out with.
First sem ( the reason being the first three listed are all subjects that are compulsory for commerce degree or economics so safe bets, fins1613 is a foundational finance course would recommend taking it first sem to see if you like it and make sure want to continue with finance)
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
FINS1613 Business Finance (6 UOC)

Second Semester(econ1102 is core for economics but also an core flexi elective for commerce so works well with both, fins1612 is anther core finance course, i took it after fins1613 but that is purely preference) You will then have to choose more subjects but after sem 1 you should have more of a feel for what direction you are heading.
FINS1612 Capital Markets & Institution (6 UOC)
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 (6 UOC)

That's just a rough guide but the transfer should be no problem at all, work hard and you will be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)