Is Engineering for Me? (1 Viewer)

untouchablecuz

HSC
my UMAT results have destroyed my hopes of a medical career (for now) :(

so, right now my best option is engineering but im worried its not for me

atm i do MX1 and MX2, predicting E4's for both. i really really enjoy maths but HSC physics and chemistry not so much

but to add on this, the UNSW and UWS open day engineering lectures really bored me

i'm scared engineering won't be "for me" and i'll end up depressed doing a degree i won't enjoy :( how does everyone here find it? is it interesting? do actually enjoy going to the ~25 contact hours a week? anything else to add?

also, i'm stuck on which engineering field i should go into; civil, electrical or mechanical? who does what and how do you find it?

thanks alot guys :(

karnage

HSC
i'm scared engineering won't be "for me" and i'll end up depressed doing a degree i won't enjoy :( how does everyone here find it? is it interesting? do actually enjoy going to the ~25 contact hours a week? anything else to add?

also, i'm stuck on which engineering field i should go into; civil, electrical or mechanical? who does what and how do you find it?
Um because its just generic first year subjects at the moment its not all that interesting. I dont really like going 5 days a week, but i sometimes i skip the days when i only have like 2 hours of classes. Civil eng here.

But if you are good at maths i guess you will like engineering, plenty of maths there. You could do flexible first year if you dont know what to pick.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if u don't like chem or physics....

well, engineering is more physics than math.

haha although physics IS math.

and ur dislike of physics is based on hsc physics.

try engineering, kgo.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
if u don't like chem or physics....

well, engineering is more physics than math.

haha although physics IS math.

and ur dislike of physics is based on hsc physics.

try engineering, kgo.
physicists use maths as a tool.

yesterday the tutors were deriving a velocity profile for a laminar fluid, the proof heavily abused math including involving natural log of zero as a term and just let it drop off (lolwut?) when finding boundary conditions.

edit: still, dont do meth anybody

Um because its just generic first year subjects at the moment its not all that interesting. I dont really like going 5 days a week, but i sometimes i skip the days when i only have like 2 hours of classes. Civil eng here.

But if you are good at maths i guess you will like engineering, plenty of maths there. You could do flexible first year if you dont know what to pick.
flexible first year was a horrible idea.

it tempts students to deviate from their plan and miss out on crucial 1st year electives.

i found out the hard way.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
well it does depend on what you are considering Uncle. for example, comp eng, elec eng, and telecom have identical 1st year courses, so youd be fine doing flexible 1st year if those are your choices

but no matter which eng program you sign up for, im fairly sure that 1st semester for all consists of math, physics, engg1000 and a computing course. so regardless of which degree you pick, you have time to change in the 1st semester

untouchablecuz

HSC
lets say i get the co-op scholarship for civil engineering

i'm locked into civil, right?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
in addition to your superior mathematical and problem solving capabilities you have to be a masochist
Haha. True... love that mathematics pain!!! LOVE IT!

Do architecture.
Why? It's design and art school. No math. No Physics. No Chemistry.

lets say i get the co-op scholarship for civil engineering

i'm locked into civil, right?
I imagine you would be. I'm going into a combined degree of Civil/Environmental (Civil alone if I couldn't) because I think it's super cool ^_^.

Good luck

Uncle

Banned
HSC
i have a friend who does architecture at usyd.

thank goodness i dont do architecture.

relentless projects which occupy way too much time and it is confirmed group members resort to sleeping at uni on floors, driving to uni back and forth at 2am in the morning, etc.

our 1st year engineering group project was not as bad as that.
in addition to mixing night fun out to make fortune all night and make the projects after party in the hole.

well it does depend on what you are considering Uncle. for example, comp eng, elec eng, and telecom have identical 1st year courses, so youd be fine doing flexible 1st year if those are your choices

but no matter which eng program you sign up for, im fairly sure that 1st semester for all consists of math, physics, engg1000 and a computing course. so regardless of which degree you pick, you have time to change in the 1st semester
more engineering majors require COMP1911.
ENGG1811 contains VB and COMP1911 contains C.

should choose COMP1911 if you are required to, MATLAB is part of 2nd & 3rd year mechanical engineering and it is similar to C.

untouchablecuz

HSC
thanks everyone

what are the chances of being offered co-op? do a lot of people apply?

untouchablecuz

HSC
Haha. True... love that mathematics pain!!! LOVE IT!

Why? It's design and art school. No math. No Physics. No Chemistry.

I imagine you would be. I'm going into a combined degree of Civil/Environmental (Civil alone if I couldn't) because I think it's super cool ^_^.

Good luck
i eat pain from breakfast

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks everyone

what are the chances of being offered co-op? do a lot of people apply?
I am pretty sure a fair few kids apply for the co-op scholarship but I would not be able to estimate a number. There would be plenty thinking they're some of the best in the state XD (and a few will be - then fail at life ^_^).

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
always apply for scholarships, dont worry if you dont think you can make it, whats the worse that'll happen? You wont get it, big whoop, at least you applied.

spence

HSC
my UMAT results have destroyed my hopes of a medical career (for now) :(

so, right now my best option is engineering but im worried its not for me

atm i do MX1 and MX2, predicting E4's for both. i really really enjoy maths but HSC physics and chemistry not so much

but to add on this, the UNSW and UWS open day engineering lectures really bored me

thanks alot guys :(
What about engineering makes you want to do it? Sounds like you don't have any real interest in it, and you're just picking it because you didn't make med. Maybe also consider med science or other health related courses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)