• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is English Extension 1 too hard for ESL students? (1 Viewer)

aime_musique

HSC
Hi I'm an ESL student. I came to AU last year. I need to choose my HSC subjects next year.
I'm in a selective school so we don't have ESL as a HSC subject.

General English is okay but it's hard to get a high ATAR. Is Extension 1 English too hard for ESL students?
If it is, i'll have to consider to change to a private school and do ESL;)

So ESL, General English or Extension 1?
Advice pls.

Thanks!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It's Advanced English and it's better than Standard English.
Do Advanced if you think Extension 1 is too hard.

Mikasa

HSC
The markers are more picky, so I guess it's harder in that sense. It is definitely a lot more enjoyable than Advanced English (or General English, if you will) because it allows for so much more creativity in your arguments, and ultimately your writing.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Depends on how competent you are with English, have you done English before ? If yes, to what extent? Are there prerequisites for ext 1 English? You need to take these questions into consideration before deciding as you need to pick the course best suited to your ability and interest. Any ATAR is possible with any combination of subjects :) Good luck,
dangerouss

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If I recall correctly ESL English is actually quite a high scaling subject. I would strongly advise you to do ESL English over Standard English, I would strongly advise you against picking English Extension One for the sake of scaling-because regardless of how the subject scales, you have to perform at a certain standard for scaling to be beneficial rather than detrimental, and English extension one is a very demanding subject-and should only be taken by those who are genuinely passionate about English and are willing to spend a lot of independent learning time. You can get any ATAR with any combination of subjects, I think last year someone got 99.95 having ESL English as one of their subjects...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)