Is english (writing skills) a big part of commerce/business? (1 Viewer)

meew

HSC
Im real good with maths, but only above average with english...Is good english needed for a good degree/job in commerce or business?

HSC
N/A
meew said:
Im real good with maths, but only above average with english...Is good english needed for a good degree/job in commerce or business?
Really depends on what area in Commerce/Business your referring to.

meew

HSC
im not really sure what i want to do, so pretty much any part.

Conspirocy

HSC
Mate come to unsw, major in accounting and I personally promise you all your exams will be multiple choice. I mean why test language ability in accounting, I certainly cant see the benefits. Wait, you might have to write one 1500 word assignment in your last year don't worry its writing about ratios (hey that's maths, you're good at that) you'll be fine.

Now everyone smile for the camera and on three say "International Students"

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Almost every profession requires that you have good spelling and grammar skills in addition to the ability to write in a structured manner, especially if you're writing a report. Sure, university exams might be multiple guess, but if you can't write properly, you won't make it in the world at large.

That said, what they teach you in HSC English is useless.

HSC
N/A
Conspirocy said:
Mate come to unsw, major in accounting and I personally promise you all your exams will be multiple choice. I mean why test language ability in accounting, I certainly cant see the benefits. Wait, you might have to write one 1500 word assignment in your last year don't worry its writing about ratios (hey that's maths, you're good at that) you'll be fine.

Now everyone smile for the camera and on three say "International Students"

If what you say is true, then UNSW sounds fairly easy

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
meew said:
If you want to pursue a career in Australia, good English is needed for a good degree/job in Commerce.

However, if your English is above average, I'm sure you'll get through a Commerce degree since there are plenty of people out there that get through Commerce with average English ability.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
1. I think for a Career in Commerce you need good english (I mean practical English in terms of speaking/writing; not understanding Shakespeare). It'll definitely make the degree easier if you can speak/communicate well too.

2. You'd be surprised at how well some of the int'l students do in the exams despite having limited English and being forced to use the translator/dictionaries even in exams!

turtleface

HSC
Working as a tutor at Uni this semester, I've realised that International Students have much better english than most give them credit for. In fact, judging by the quality or responses on this site most of the students in my tutorials put many locals to shame. I think the belief that they suffer from poor communication skills is largely due to 1. unorthodox accents, which automatically make some people dismiss them and 2. Colloquial/informal language tends to confuse them.

Mate come to unsw, major in accounting and I personally promise you all your exams will be multiple choice.
We had a huge mid semester test for Financial Accounting theory. Hardest shit I have ever sat, even my local english skills were not enough to overcome the ambiguity etc.. Multiple choice is a nightmare in the hands of a skilled exam setter, I think everyone who came out of that Multi choice test would have preferred writing an essay.

Wait, you might have to write one 1500 word assignment in your last year don't worry its writing about ratios (hey that's maths, you're good at that) you'll be fine.
What kind of a hobo university do you go to? We don't touch ratios beyond 1st year, except maybe a few PE ratios in 2nd year Business Finance.

---

As for the original question:
meew said:
A good degree/job? Depends on your definition of good. I guess a good indicator of what doesn't need good english skills are the ones that can be shipped off to developing countries (i.e. clerical etc.).

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe they do some form of balance sheet analysis later on *shrugs*... don't underestimate the power of interpretting data.

But I agree with you turtleface- I've had my *** caned by people who I thought had extremely weak English in subjects which I previously studied for HSC (and they had not). It shows that we mustn't get too cocky!

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I think that the international students make up for their lack of communication skills by studying hard and therefore can outperform local students. But its probably not the case if it was an oral examination.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
^ Heh.. Tell me about it.

10-minute presenation... I went straight after an international student. Most advantageous juxtaposition of speaking ability ever.

snowbunny

HSC
if you're like me

pretty average at writing reports, essays etc but good maths skills

im doing business at UTS and it's seriously not a problem

hsc english made me doubt my skills alot basically coz its analysing crap and making up stuff

i feel like so far at uni ive really improved in my skills.. but also because its writing about actual events and issues...

trust me you'll be fine!

HSC
N/A
snowbunny said:
if you're like me

pretty average at writing reports, essays etc but good maths skills

im doing business at UTS and it's seriously not a problem

hsc english made me doubt my skills alot basically coz its analysing crap and making up stuff

i feel like so far at uni ive really improved in my skills.. but also because its writing about actual events and issues...

trust me you'll be fine!
That is very true, HSC English is very much geared towards an arts degree sort of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)