Is HD average much more employable than D average Commerce student??? (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems everyone has taken point on this to assume Graduate roles are the only roles a graduate is searching for.

A student getting an HD average would get a high consideration for an interview but so will students who have a C average with work experience and extra-curricular. But I would imagine there is a higher consideration of fit in with culture and capability to do the work being a greater weighting on whether the applicant gets an offer once they are already in the interview process.

However, if you are looking for a non-graduate role, your marks may get you into the door once again but the applicant with more experience will always get a better look in than the applicant with little to no experience with the HD average.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This is srs question.

If I get HD in b.com USYD but with absolutely 0 work experience, "some" extra curricular volutneering etc...

What would my chance at big 4 audit with 0 connections/networks.
Better than if you had only a D or C.

In all seriousness though academics are really only one component in assessing your application for offering an interview. It's not about how much you've done but what can you bring to the organisation.

enoilgam

HSC
Better than if you had only a D or C.

In all seriousness though academics are really only one component in assessing your application for offering an interview. It's not about how much you've done but what can you bring to the organisation.
This is important to keep in mind when going for any job these days, whether it be a graduate position or a senior management position. This is a HR era, these days, the candidate with the greatest resume does not always get the job. Organisations are looking for candidates who they think will best suit the business, which makes a set standard or criteria for employability difficult to define. I've sat in on employee selection at work and the main thing the managers look for is "Who is the best fit for the organisation, work team and job". You cant say "HD average, two internships, 2 jobs, 5 ECs = job everywhere" because a business might be looking for someone with less experience in order to mould them. Either that or my example person may not have the personality type which is conducive to success in a particular organisation.

The mistake you are making is directly relating a person's attributes to their employability like a maths equation. Whilst there is a correlation between having done a lot and employability, there are other factors at play.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a HD is more employable.

A HR manager at a big 4 bank told me that... They sort out the resumes based on highest to lowest wam.. Then they pick out the HD, D and some C's.... ... and chuck out the passes.

Chucking out is also known as "binning".
I didn't think this was standard at the big 4 audits.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Knowing people is more employable.
Also true - "Uncle Bob is a general manager at X company" is probably going to make you more employable than a lot of other things you can add to your CV. That being said, in the last decade or so, having relatives/friends in high places isnt as helpful as it once was.

rope

HSC
N/A
Most places I've talked to tend to have a some sort of WAM threshold, once you pass that you're going to get a much better ROI from working on other things like internships (for experience), ECs (well-roundedness), hobbies/interests (so you're not some soulless careerist) and what others have said about fit, especially important at smaller firms, peculiarities of which you should be able to get a general idea of via networking.

enoilgam

HSC
Most places I've talked to tend to have a some sort of WAM threshold, once you pass that you're going to get a much better ROI from working on other things like internships (for experience), ECs (well-roundedness), hobbies/interests (so you're not some soulless careerist) and what others have said about fit, especially important at smaller firms, peculiarities of which you should be able to get a general idea of via networking.
I'm interested to see how organisations deal with grade/WAM cutoffs because they arent standardised across universities. Most job applications dont ask for a number, but more just a grade average (i.e. whether your marks are the equivalent to a D average etc).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm interested to see how organisations deal with grade/WAM cutoffs because they arent standardised across universities. Most job applications dont ask for a number, but more just a grade average (i.e. whether your marks are the equivalent to a D average etc).
If it's a firm/company which is big enough to need WAMs to do culling, they have enough experience to know what the WAM means for each educational institution.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
If it's a firm/company which is big enough to need WAMs to do culling, they have enough experience to know what the WAM means for each educational institution.
So you are saying big 4 will probs know that USYD high wam is harder to achieve;?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So you are saying big 4 will probs know that USYD high wam is harder to achieve;?
Wouldn't be able to give you a definitive answer- but most graduate recruiters (in any industry) have a pretty good understanding of what the different grades reflect at the respective universities.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
My uni tutor who used to work at IBM said they crop anyone who doesnt have high credit/near distinction.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
This is srs question.

If I get HD in b.com USYD but with absolutely 0 work experience, "some" extra curricular volutneering etc...

What would my chance at big 4 audit with 0 connections/networks.
With that attitude, it will be hard for you to get into big 4 acct.. not even audit which is their largest division. They place less emphasis on your marks, more on you. A fantastic candidate (she was actually amazing - in terms of soft skills, best one out of those who were in my AC) didn't make the cut because she didn't have a credit average, so marks are still an important component (But, now she does, so hopefully this year!).

Also, having excellent extra curriculars + work experience, and having a HD average are not mutually exclusive things (in first year at least). There are at least 15 people in my cohort of around 1000 (comm, comm/law, comm/eng etc etc) who have all those. So don't expect your 'HD ave' to get you anywhere with '0 work experience'.

Most people who start university with 'I want to top my cohort, get HD average' in mind, don't go that far.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
~Infosystems master race~
You'll be competing with students like Brent012 and nerdasdasd though.

Its still a competitive sector.

Also dare I say that the work you do is "innovate businesses" which is just like engineering, but instead of working with science you work with business type stuff.

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
~Infosystems master race~
You're in the same pool as OP though aren't you? (Deloitte would love your degree though). This is assuming, Info systems isn't IT, but that 'digital business innovation' stuff. Everything is competitive now.

Unless they get really involved and do a lot of other stuff. Then they just pwn.
Definitely, that's why I said 'most' students :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to pursue stuff along the lines of deloitte digital/ risk/IT consulting

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I want to pursue stuff along the lines of deloitte digital/ risk/IT consulting
I think you can do one of my current subs as a gen-ed.

Which actually might help in digital systems, but I don't know if you actually do that or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)