Is IPT worth it? (1 Viewer)

jess24

HSC
I am really considering whether IPT is really worth doing for the next 2 years! I love computers and IT but i am really hating IPT at the moment. Last year i was told i would be able to get creative and use programs like flash, dreamweaver etc...but my teahcer now said we wont be using those programs much!!

Anyone got some advice......

and do you need IPT to get into uni, like if u want to study IT ??

thanks

ITvet
Modern History
Visual Arts

peter2

Banned
HSC
jess24 said:
I am really considering whether IPT is really worth doing for the next 2 years! I love computers and IT but i am really hating IPT at the moment. Last year i was told i would be able to get creative and use programs like flash, dreamweaver etc...but my teahcer now said we wont be using those programs much!!

thanks

ITvet
Modern History
Visual Arts
Hey there lol.

IPT was my most favouright subject. its the best subject trust me most fun subject and only class i liked. its pretty easy and worth doing. not much pplz do it nemore but it is really worth i dont think we used those programs aswell but still its a good subject to do just trust me not hard at all. im doing ocmputer science at uni and they didnt need ipt no uni does it just helps i guess.

newayz have a good yeh and take care

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
if you are really good at the subject, keep it.

it gets better in year 12, you will be given more freedom when you are given major assignments.

if you want to use flash and dreamweaver etc you should have picked up SDD, you could have used them for your majorwork.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
wm_abusef said:
if you are really good at the subject, keep it.

it gets better in year 12, you will be given more freedom when you are given major assignments.

if you want to use flash and dreamweaver etc you should have picked up SDD, you could have used them for your majorwork.
I wanted to do SDD, but my school never offered it.

Lousy school, people at my school dont even know how a computer works, so its not suprising.

But still, lousy stinking school..

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
most uni courses have no pre-requisites - a few say you need Maths

IPT leads straight into courses that involve Information Management where you can have an advantage over other 1st year students. The group work and presentation skills, plus spreadsheets and database experience can be invaluable in a wide range of courses including IT and Graphic design.

Am sure there will be scope for you to use dreamweaver and flash in your major work - but I doubt most students would want their teacher to spend hours and hours teaching something that they wont be examined on ??

Whilst I am a huge believer in learning things for the sake of learning, unfortunately the pressures of the HSC tend to put a dampener on that.

jess24 said:

thanks

ITvet
Modern History
Visual Arts

G

gaoOO

i don't think it's worth it- it's not necessarily for any uni course, and it scales badly. Of course, this would be nothing if you truly enjoyed it.

jawidplayer

HSC
N/A
i think IPT is pretty good as we study how to communicate in an IT environment. so IPT is helpful for IT, just like chemistry helps biology. so if you do IT and IPT, your success will be high.

laserbrainz

HSC
I did my HSC in 2005, and am now doing Computer Engineering at UNSW.

I found that IPT was a great course - ok, there was lots of definitions, or bookwork, etc, but, I managed to get a great topic for my project, had a lot of fun, and did well in the course.

As for whether it helps at uni, yes and no is the short of it. Yes, it helps to get you looking at a system, and starting to design solutions given the available resources (don't forget that time IS a resource), but no, it doesn't act as a pre-requisite for anything. At UNSW, they start assuming you can turn a computer on, and not much more. what is needed, is interest, because programming is pretty hard to get your head around if you've done nothing before, and keeping interested is how to survive.

Oh, and for anyone who may be thinking about learning visual Basic, you realise when you get to uni, it isn't all that crash hot. :)

What IS useful for uni, is maths - lots of it, the more the better, etc. The HSC is missing so much, that if you can do more, do it. I didn't, but found it tricky when I got to uni. Don't forget the maths you learnt, and you'll be in a much better position for uni. Learn more than the minimum, and you'll be fine.

So did I find IPT woth it? It helped me, got me a good mark, and I made it interesting for me through my choice of project, so yes.

Hope that helps someone.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
laserbrainz said:
I did my HSC in 2005, and am now doing Computer Engineering at UNSW.

I found that IPT was a great course - ok, there was lots of definitions, or bookwork, etc, but, I managed to get a great topic for my project, had a lot of fun, and did well in the course.

As for whether it helps at uni, yes and no is the short of it. Yes, it helps to get you looking at a system, and starting to design solutions given the available resources (don't forget that time IS a resource), but no, it doesn't act as a pre-requisite for anything. At UNSW, they start assuming you can turn a computer on, and not much more. what is needed, is interest, because programming is pretty hard to get your head around if you've done nothing before, and keeping interested is how to survive.

Oh, and for anyone who may be thinking about learning visual Basic, you realise when you get to uni, it isn't all that crash hot. :)

What IS useful for uni, is maths - lots of it, the more the better, etc. The HSC is missing so much, that if you can do more, do it. I didn't, but found it tricky when I got to uni. Don't forget the maths you learnt, and you'll be in a much better position for uni. Learn more than the minimum, and you'll be fine.

So did I find IPT woth it? It helped me, got me a good mark, and I made it interesting for me through my choice of project, so yes.

Hope that helps someone.

Well if I didn't have to conceal mathematical formulas and constants it would be nice.
Doesn't Computer Engineering require Maths at Extension 1 level ?
Because if ANY engineerning course requires firm knowledge of it then engineering is not on my priority list.

Chad.Maggs19

HSC
Hey! IPT is worth it if you want to go into IT or something like that after school, but iff you have no intention of sitting at a desk in a boring office environment... GET OUT NOW! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

I'm doing year 12 IPT and it sucks! It is SOOOOOO boring. It's mostly theory, so basically you listen and read the book and answer the questions from the book. Rarely any prac at all.

But thats just my opinion. Also i doubt our teachers would teach the subject exactly the same. so meh.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Well the stuff we learn can be pretty interesting. But its a lot of theory work and book reading. It also looks pretty good that you've done a full on in-depth course on computer technology and all that. But it also doesn't scale well, so you'll have to be prepared to actually do your work and all that.

IPT however, isn't a prerequisite for any uni course. If you're thinking about getting into the IT industry I'd recommend it but if you're already interested in a different sort of job, you might want to look at what subjects would be better suited for that job.

Advv

HSC
I'm not sure if IPT it worth it but my IPT class seems to be going better than other schools in terms of the amount of prac we do (judging from the replies in this thread). We mostly do prac using programs such as filemaker pro, macromedia flash, macromedia fireworks, freehand, excel etc. I actually prefer doing theory over prac though. :|

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Chad.Maggs19 said:
Hey! IPT is worth it if you want to go into IT or something like that after school, but iff you have no intention of sitting at a desk in a boring office environment... GET OUT NOW! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

I'm doing year 12 IPT and it sucks! It is SOOOOOO boring. It's mostly theory, so basically you listen and read the book and answer the questions from the book. Rarely any prac at all.

But thats just my opinion. Also i doubt our teachers would teach the subject exactly the same. so meh.
Agree.
Attention all 2009ers, GTFO IPT if you don't like monotonously large load of theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)