Is it a bad idea to do both GOVT1105 Geopolitics and GOVT1202 World Politics? (1 Viewer)

vtfan

PG's M Crew
HSC
Would that be too much of a narrow field? Should I take Australian Politics instead of World Politics?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Would that be too much of a narrow field? Should I take Australian Politics instead of World Politics?
It really depends what you're interested in. If you want to do politics and policy oriented courses at senior level, then taking Aus Pol might be a good idea, but if your primary interest is in the international relations side of the department then you could do both geopol and world pol without much drama. It doesn't matter a whole lot. Nothing in the first year courses is incredibly advanced, and you should be able to cope pretty easily with any of the senior courses no matter what junior courses you did.

(Traditionally Geopol and World Pol have both been widely hated, but it's years since I did them so they may have changed totally. Just as a tip, I see that Geopol is running in both semesters, with Diarmuid Maguire teaching it in Sem 1 and Graeme Gill in Sem 2. If you can, take Graeme's one, he's awesome.)

bored6

HSC
Terrible subjects, run far far away.

(geopol isn't so bad, the lecturer is unbearable however)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I loved Australian Politics (that was just me, I didn't have to do work for it, but still did well, because I have such a keen interest in it). I also did Geopol, lecturer wasn't too bad, but I did pretty crap for it all round, despite putting some effort into it.

To answer your question, it's not such a bad idea, and it's not too narrow.

dreamflycry

HSC
Why exactly are these two subjects traditionally hated? I'm thinking about joining both of these courses, but if they're not recommended, then I guess I'll reconsider? The reason I joined was because the course description sounded good, but if it's not, then...?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Geopol - admittedly, I didn't like, because I never really paid attention in class after week 5, and rarely did the readings, but still managed to scrape a D. It'd be much more enjoyable if you were more dedicated to the subject than I was.

As for World Pol, I didn't do it, but once again, I was told that it was generally hated.

vtfan

PG's M Crew
HSC
Yeah, I've heard World Politics is absolutely dreadful, so I was thinking of changing... but could anyone elaborate why?

Also, what's Power in Society like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)