Is it a hole? (1 Viewer)

benjaminwhitena

HSC
I have quite a few of my preferences at Lismore and Coffs SCU.

Is it as much of a hole as everyone says?

I live on the Central Coast, and was planing on moving north.

Would it be worth moving up there and living on campus, or would I be better off to move to Lennox Head or Byron?

Whats the night life like at these places aswell, I don't particularly fancy living in a hole for 4 years and crawling out a 22 year old with 4 years of social isolation.

Any comments?

Lindyaaa

HSC
Hi,

I am wondering the same thing. I deffered my course of Human Movement Studies till 2007 and have heard from people that its a crap place to study too.

I have to move away from home which is 8 hourse away and dont really know if it will be worth it.

Can someone who studies at the Lismore campus let us know what its like to live on campus or even just study there. And why is it such a crap place?

Thanks
L

The90kwBeast

HSC
Hi guys,

Im only an external student and studying part time but i still live in lismore and have been to the campus a few times.

Basically my biggest gripes with SCU are;

1. Hopeless admin services - they lost one of my applications for christ sake.
2. The lecturers (for business anyway) are very helpful - but some inexperienced lecturers tend to give too much away in Elluminate exam sessions, in one case drip feeding what was in the exam to us - you can't just give out degrees.

Hmm.. that's about it actually from me. Oh, and study guides on CD suck. im sure internals have more to complain about. :)

The Lismore uni bar isn't bad - cheap drinks, usually pretty good entertainment (it gets some fairly big names coming through - End of Fashion was the most recent big band) and if the bar fails you, the nightlife in Lismore isn't too bad for an inland town of 45,000. Several pretty good clubs/pubs.

And failing lismore... Ballina is 20mins away for beaches, Byron is 45mins and surfers paradise is 1.5 hours or so.

Obviously if you go to a bigger town/city there's going to be more to do, and the quality of the education is going to be better - but you need the UAI to get it, and you face moving miles away from all that you know.

Depends on what you're studying too.

Cheers

Kurt

mstanford

HSC
hey
yeah i've been living here for uni for about 3 days now, so i don't really have that much experience with the town, but so far i'm bored already, transferring after a year if i can...i reckon it'll be pretty fun once uni actually starts.

i have a mate doing his third year here this year and he said it's pretty good

HSC
mstanford said:
hey
yeah i've been living here for uni for about 3 days now, so i don't really have that much experience with the town, but so far i'm bored already, transferring after a year if i can...i reckon it'll be pretty fun once uni actually starts.

i have a mate doing his third year here this year and he said it's pretty good
That would be to expected - when you just move to a new place and don't know anyone or anything, you naturally struggle to find things to do, but once you settle in it'll get much better I expect :uhhuh:

Monz

HSC
Lismore has two clubs...and a few pubs from what i know considering i just moved here on saturday. The beaches round here are nice though, my mum and i went for a drive the other day, but she's gone home now.
Anyway if the courses at SCU are what you want to do well then i think it's a good idea to make the move, and you can always transfer if you like.

mstanford

HSC
yeah it seems pretty sweet now that i've met a few people.

i'm just keen to do well enough this year so that i can get down to newcastle or sydney.

laurenxoxo

HSC
Yeah Lismore's a hole. If ppl want beaches and what not Tweed campus is the go. It's closer to Byron than lismore these days. Dunno bout the campus but the town has a better atmosphere than Lismore..probably less bogans too.

SovietSupremacy

HSC
I live in Coffs but I don't go to SCU.

Coffs is an alright town, day life is goosd, two fairly large shopping centres and some nice beaches that get good waves occaisionally if your into surfing.

Night Life is OKAY but not too much happens. The bars have bands floating through of course, and if your into clubbing there is a couple that happen on a semi-regular basis.

~untitled~

HSC
I live near lismore, been to the uni a fair bit over the past few years. Lismore in general is a hole, including th uni. I dont know why anyone would want to move there.

WHOOHOO! Uni newcastle finally getting out!

skinner1

HSC
N/A
Having studied BHMS/BEdu at SCU Lismore, I can honestly say the course itself had a few problems (ie - subjects not worthy of such a degree) HOWEVER, if you want to be treated as a human and not merely a number, then this is the place for you. The Lecturer's 'open-door' policy is next to none and their compassion etc is amazing - you are a person, not like other uni's where they wouldn't know you from the next person. It's an awesome place! Lismore is a hole though - live in ballina or in the stix..

bambi351

HSC
I have lived in Coffs Harbour all my life and I find it to be quite enjoyable. Basically the campus here is on the beach. The people here are nice and there is always something to do.
Thats what I think of it anyway. I love it here.

HSC
For 2009 options in Lismore is getting better with new services (currently construction) at the campus. SCU Lismore has record international students population this year!

eurabbie

HSC
Yes

Im doing Business through SCU externally, swapping to CSU next year, courses are incredibly hopelessly organised. Im still waiting on assignment results and exams start in a week or two.

Most people cna do better :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)