Is it better to remember essays for trials/HSC or remember quotes and techniques? (1 Viewer)

killerg0d

HSC
I'm sure that this has worked both ways but what do you guys prefer and does it really help?

The creative writing you probably will remember, but how about the modules?

Remember an essay and mould it to the question changing thesis and linking sentences.

or

Remembering quotes/techniques/thesis and writing an essay on the spot in the exam to suit the question.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The creative module you definitely want at least a start, middle and end. A word for word story may be useful, but I never went for it.

For essays, you want the list of quotes and techniques memorised. An unusual question can seriously ruin you if you've memorised an essay and can't adapt.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
definitely recommend the second method
I would certainly advocate this method.

Remembering an essay essentially fixes your central idea. Similarly, what do you do if you forget part of your essay? How do you improvise?

Using the second method allows you to more easily mould the resources you've collected into a coherent essay. Generally, there are key quotes within a text which can be applied to a good amount of questions without detracting from the essay because it lacks punch. Usually it isn't difficult to think of what may be asked so picking some catch-all quotes provides you with that flexibility.

enoilgam

HSC
I went with method two, its too difficult to mould a whole essay to the questions. Its much easier to have a few general points and string them together on the day.

killerg0d

HSC
The creative module you definitely want at least a start, middle and end. A word for word story may be useful, but I never went for it.

For essays, you want the list of quotes and techniques memorised. An unusual question can seriously ruin you if you've memorised an essay and can't adapt.
I agree, I had a friend who remembered an essay and when we got the actual question he completely went blank and got a miserable mark.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Second method. It's more reasonable plus it really helps you in the long run.

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
first method but then it depends. if u wanna memorise an essay , its less stressful for you in the exam. But memorise an essay that is kinda like .. open if u get what i mean :S but do both in case. I always memorised essay and had full marks for stuff i memorise.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i used the first method

if you do decide to go with the first method, it's better to prepare slightly longer essays or random extra paragraphs or a list of quotes/other ideas just in case

also choose quotes/techniques that you know you can adapt to a variety of ideas when analysing, or discuss broader ideas that mesh together multiple concepts within the course so that it'll almost always be relevant (e.g. if you talk about lack of mutual relationships, you can relate it to acceptance, relationships, not belonging, barriers etc.)

Manroop

HSC
Method 1, because by preparing an essay can you maintain complexity in concepts and language unless if you're a gun at english :p

Last edited:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Really, it depends on the person. There is no "best way", however, imo i would prefer to know the quotes and main points. For example, I just knew a couple of quotes and points and when I did an exam on belonging, I moulded it to the question and did pretty good - got 18/20. But in reality whatever suits you, is the best way.

shakky

HSC
IMO it is good to remember just the quotes, techniques and ideas. However keep practicing writing essays to different questions to help you build that skill of applying your knowledge and understanding of a new question in just 40 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)