• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it easy to get a credit average in foundation math units (1 Viewer)

PukeyFromSweden

HSC
N/A
Basically I suck at maths, like I seriously lack basic algebraic knowledge, and am struggling with the 2-unit bridging course (but I still have hope). Look, I am just the worst person at math, even the simple things. Well in my combined science and nursing degree, I can only go on to nursing if I get credit average in all my units. As required for science, I have 4 math subjects, 3 are fundamental and one is 'normal' (as it is a prereq for my science major). I want to know how difficult it will be for someone like me to get a credit average in these units. Should I get a tutor for these units to be on the safe side?

I should note I didn't do general math, and failed year 10 math.

edit: title should be fundamental not foundation

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I did first year Science/Nursing last year. I did 2U (not general) maths in high school (which was 11 years ago) and I was OK at it. The 2U bridging course was a refresher for me (a lot of it is learning to recognise what you need to apply and where), but it is very basic. Learn those things well and early, because that knowledge will underpin other units, and is assumed knowledge for some. I did fundamental units (1011, 1013, 1014, and 1015) for my maths units, since I don't need anything higher for my chosen major, and ended up with 3 Cs and a D. I found Linear Algebra (1014) to be the easiest by far.

I received tutoring (from an Adv. Maths major; happy to DM you their page/e-mail if you'd like?) for late S1, pre-exam. It helped a great deal. It also depends on your finances, though. I found that in S2 I was much more capable and confident, and no longer needed a tutor.

I would recommend that you attend your first week of lectures, look through the maths notes/readers that they assign, and then decide whether or not you'll need a tutor. You'll also be able to get additional support from the Maths Learning Centre (since you didn't do the required math at the high school level, you will be eligible), which they may have already told you about during the bridging course. I'd advise that you take advantage of that early. Finding someone in your tutorial group that's open to studying with you on occasion could also be helpful.

Edit: It does sound like you may need a tutor, yes, but you should try the first week and register at the MLC, to see if that may be all that you need, or if you'll need a tutor to supplement.

Last edited:

engineering

HSC
N/A
Do you need "a credit in all units" or "a credit average calculated for all your units"

PukeyFromSweden

HSC
N/A
I did first year Science/Nursing last year. I did 2U (not general) maths in high school (which was 11 years ago) and I was OK at it. The 2U bridging course was a refresher for me (a lot of it is learning to recognise what you need to apply and where), but it is very basic. Learn those things well and early, because that knowledge will underpin other units, and is assumed knowledge for some. I did fundamental units (1011, 1013, 1014, and 1015) for my maths units, since I don't need anything higher for my chosen major, and ended up with 3 Cs and a D. I found Linear Algebra (1014) to be the easiest by far.

I received tutoring (from an Adv. Maths major; happy to DM you their page/e-mail if you'd like?) for late S1, pre-exam. It helped a great deal. It also depends on your finances, though. I found that in S2 I was much more capable and confident, and no longer needed a tutor.

I would recommend that you attend your first week of lectures, look through the maths notes/readers that they assign, and then decide whether or not you'll need a tutor. You'll also be able to get additional support from the Maths Learning Centre (since you didn't do the required math at the high school level, you will be eligible), which they may have already told you about during the bridging course. I'd advise that you take advantage of that early. Finding someone in your tutorial group that's open to studying with you on occasion could also be helpful.

Edit: It does sound like you may need a tutor, yes, but you should try the first week and register at the MLC, to see if that may be all that you need, or if you'll need a tutor to supplement.
Thank you for your reply. Also that would be great if you could message the tutor's info to me. :)

PukeyFromSweden

HSC
N/A
Do you need "a credit in all units" or "a credit average calculated for all your units"
I'm not sure, it just says: "(1) Candidates are required to complete their first 48 credit points with an average mark of at least 65 to remain in the combined degree program. Candidates who do not achieve this mark may not continue in the program; however, they may elect to transfer to the single Bachelor of Science degree" and at the info day for this course they did say we need to get credit average but I'm not sure if it's for all units, I'm assuming at this point.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I personally assumed it was 65 average across all subjects; that you could pull the average up with a good mark in the another subject. This may or may not help you, depending on what other subjects you're doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)