Is it good to use foreign language terms in essays/speeches etc if they're relevant? (1 Viewer)

stellina91

HSC
I'm curious as I'm sure someone has told me teachers really appreciate it. For example if I was talking about a related text such as Looking For Alibrandi from the point of Melina Marchetta who is Italian (the author), would it be a good idea?

Thanks.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
HSC
Re: Is it good to use foreign language terms in essays/speeches etc if they're releva

i was wondering the same thing, because in one of my english essays, i quote the text in latin (the text has some quotes in latin), and follow this with a translation into english. does this go against the board's rules?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Is it good to use foreign language terms in essays/speeches etc if they're releva

i was wondering the same thing, because in one of my english essays, i quote the text in latin (the text has some quotes in latin), and follow this with a translation into english. does this go against the board's rules?
I'm fairly sure that's ok since it's a quote from your text (assuming your text is like.....predominantly English, and not some Latin manuscript).

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A

Section 21 - Conduct during the examinations
I thought this section meant writing the WHOLE essay in another language, not quoting.

If it is relevant then use it. In regards to Modern History, we were always told to learn the french/german terms for our responses. Provided the term is well explained and makes sense, then I don't think there would be a problem

HSC

thanks. yes, the text is predominantly english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)