is it hard to get an atar of 72? (1 Viewer)

eldawgz

HSC
my main atar goal is 72 for Bachelor of Applied Chemistry in UTS and having finished all my exams I do have mixed emotions about achieving that goal. My subjects and rank are standard english (82/263), gen. maths(67/193), biology(28/57), chemistry(9/29), pdhpe(12/50) and society and culture(10/22)

cheese_cheese

HSC
In general I wouldn't say it would be that hard. It might be a little hard with some of those ranks and lowish scaling subjects though. Have you tried inputting your ranks into the SAM tool and see what it gives you, http://www.boredofstudies.org/sam/ ?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
For any 2012/13ers reading this the majority of people on this forum will say that it's easy but honestly ATAR is a rank and among students actually sitting the hsc 70 ATAR is about the median so therefore it can't be "easy" or everyone would be getting it. Provided your subjects scale alright, you put in some effort throughout the year in assesments to ensure you are not towards the bottom ranks (depends largely on cohort and school rank but generally), you revise before the hsc and you have some general knowledge/good exam technique getting at least 70+ should be a breeze. That being said there are plenty of exceptions to all that and "bludgers" often get 90+ and hard working people might stuggle to get 70s, also despite what i said earlier subject scaling doesn't really matter as long as you go well in exams.

@OP: Some of your subjects scale well and your ranks aren't bad and your cohort is massive! Do you happen to go to Wyndham or another 11/12 only school? I think you should be able 72+ providing you didn't screw up any external exams.

eldawgz

HSC
For any 2012/13ers reading this the majority of people on this forum will say that it's easy but honestly ATAR is a rank and among students actually sitting the hsc 70 ATAR is about the median so therefore it can't be "easy" or everyone would be getting it. Provided your subjects scale alright, you put in some effort throughout the year in assesments to ensure you are not towards the bottom ranks (depends largely on cohort and school rank but generally), you revise before the hsc and you have some general knowledge/good exam technique getting at least 70+ should be a breeze. That being said there are plenty of exceptions to all that and "bludgers" often get 90+ and hard working people might stuggle to get 70s, also despite what i said earlier subject scaling doesn't really matter as long as you go well in exams.

@OP: Some of your subjects scale well and your ranks aren't bad and your cohort is massive! Do you happen to go to Wyndham or another 11/12 only school? I think you should be able 72+ providing you didn't screw up any external exams.
yes i do go to wyndham college, but the thing is more than half the people in my school dont give a shit about there hsc and im scared that might bring me down as well as my averages in some of my subjects

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
yes i do go to wyndham college, but the thing is more than half the people in my school dont give a shit about there hsc and im scared that might bring me down as well as my averages in some of my subjects
Yeah I know - thats why i asked, Wyndham is the only large school i know and it's not ranked too well. I'm not sure what usually happens there though, since the cohort is so massive are the top 10 usually really good or do the top achievers from the feeder schools apply for selective schools in year 10 rather than going to wyndham? I think you will be fine for atleast 72+ ATAR though, especially if you went well in your general maths and english hsc.

eldawgz

HSC
i did so poorly in gen maths! and not too sure about english. but i did pretty good in biology and society so i hope that'll make up for it. well, the year 10's of the collegiate schools are automatically enrolled in wyndham unless they apply somewhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)