Is it possible for a person ranked 2nd internally to get a higher HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
^ This has happened to me in one of my subjects. I was ranked 1st and the person ranked 2nd got a higher HSC mark than me. Just wondering...is this ever possible in any circumstance?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
you kind of answered your question yourself.

OversizeSweater

HSC
I was ranked fourth in chemistry, and i beat second in course (was 2 marks behind first), and also i was second in maths and beat first..
They must have went better in the hsc exam, which pushed them up.

hjed

HSC
Yes, happened to me as well. In my case it was a two person class so that probably made the difference. Not sure exactly how it works, but it does. (My understanding of how alignment works we should have got the same mark). I felt they should have come first anyway so not really bothered about it.

Last edited:

Lina3

HSC
Ok, thank you. That clears up my confusion because someone said that because they have higher something MUST be wrong. Wanted to make sure.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Happened at my school and it was quite surprising

The guy ranked third internally got state rank (99 Exam Mark but got pulled down to 98 due to internal)
The chick ranked second got 96
The chick ranked first got a 92

What I understood about the system has been a lie.

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
Happened to me, I was ranked 2nd internally for Eng Adv but got better HSC mark

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Remember that you keep your own exam mark so if your exam mark is lower than the person/people ranked below you then it is perfectly possible that they could catch your and pass you. Happens all the time.

moocow920

HSC
I very very suprised at what happened in my school, I was equal second in maths, and state ranked in top 5 (99/100), the girl tied with me came 19th in state and the girl that came first no state rank at all.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I very very suprised at what happened in my school, I was equal second in maths, and state ranked in top 5 (99/100), the girl tied with me came 19th in state and the girl that came first no state rank at all.
You may as well just say your exact rank as it's pretty obvious who you are now :p

Focus is Key

HSC
Happened to me in Advanced Maths- I ranked 1st internally but the guy coming 2nd ended up with a mark 1 higher than me.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Yep.

In English I was 3rd internally, 2nd HSC mark

In Business I was 2nd internally but equal 3rd HSC mark

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, because the exam mark is your own individual performance.

First could have 95 for their assessment mark, but say 85 for their exam mark.
Second could have gotten 90 for their assessment mark, and they could have achieved 95 for their exam mark.

So First gets 90, and Second gets 93.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yes, not at all surprising. It's not possible for you to have a lower assessment mark but a lower exam mark just means that the person in second scored higher in the exam.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It's possible for the person ranked last to get a higher external mark than the person ranked 1st.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It's possible for the person ranked last to get a higher external mark than the person ranked 1st.

Yes - particularly if there isn't a lot between first and last (2 student classes come to mind as an obvious case where this can happen - and I have had it happen). Just means that last ranked worked harder in preparation for the exam than 1st ranked. What can't happen is for last ranked to get a better internal mark than the first ranked student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)