Is it possible for somebody with a really low IQ like 110, to achieve a 99+ atar? (2 Viewers)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Last edited:

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
INTERNATIONAL HIGH IQ SOCIETY | Iq Tests

Click on eCMA. Gluck :)

EDIT

I just did the test again - did it before my yr 12 1/2 yearlies and i got 143 or something like that. Apparently i've lost some of my intelligence these holidays XD

Screenshot: http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff62/annabackwards/MyIQ.png?t=1262594716
I just did the IQ test then and I didn't really appreciate the format or the type of questions asked. Many of the questions required prerequisite knowledge in particular fields, which some people might be more familiar with than others, regardless of intellectual capability (e.g. people with geographical or musical knowledge were at an advantage, compared to other fields).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I just did the IQ test then and I didn't really appreciate the format or the type of questions asked. Many of the questions required prerequisite knowledge in particular fields, which some people might be more familiar with than others, regardless of intellectual capability (e.g. people with geographical or musical knowledge were at an advantage, compared to other fields).
Yep, but you are able to compensate in one field if you are horrid at another :)

I for example hardly know anything about music or older literature XD

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
Knowing which shape comes next in a series of shapes is not a key indicator to how well you'll do in the HSC ok.

It doesn't take a genius level of intelligence to do well in the HSC. Most of it is rote learning, which is memorisation. Even most of the science subjects can be mastered with rote learning, especially biology. If you just study the syllabus and memorise answers to each dot point, you'll do well. Same for English, if you memorise prepared essays for the exams instead of relying on quick wit, you'll do well.

So yeah in conclusion, the HSC is shit and I've known some absolute clusterfucks that have done well in the HSC. Can't butter bread, but can regurgitate a heap of crap.

Because the HSC is the worst. On an international scale anyway.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Yep, but you are able to compensate in one field if you are horrid at another :)

I for example hardly know anything about music or older literature XD
I guess that does make sense. That being said, most of the questions were actually alright. Just when they asked one involving Canadian provinces and another about sopranos and baritones I got a bit annoyed, haha. :)

It was an interesting link regardless, thanks for posting. Definitely better than some of the other IQ tests I've done over the internet.

bubbrubb

HSC
You don't relli need to be smart to perform well in the hsc. The HSC never really demands alot more than simply a ton of memorising.

Science is just memorising a ton of information which anyone can do. The only difference between someone who is bright and someone who is a bit slow is that the bright one will be able to learn and remember it much faster than the slower one.

In maths, yes it requires brains (especially 4 unit) but getting band 6 in maths requires simply alot of practise - the majority of the questions in the hsc simply recycle techniques that you can learn through past papers. You don't need to be able to do every question.

English... well its hard but with a lot of direction from the teacher and alot of practise essays, a low band 6 is in reach for almost everyone imo.

i reckon a stronger indicator of ability is UMAT and I know of PLENTY of people with ATAR 99.5 - 99.95 with UMAT percentiles much much much less than you would expect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)