Is it possible to gain marks on quantity rather than quality?? (1 Viewer)

WeaselPowa

HSC
In terms of English, directly answer the question. As my English teachers said, "Don't go around in circles. Go straight to the point."

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As someone who has marked the HSC for 20 years the simple answer - yes.

Eventually if you write a lot on the topic you will cover enough stuff to get high marks. You probably won't get into the top band but the second top band is possible, depending on the question of course.

The downside of writing heaps and heaps and not cutting to the chase is time - so you could find that you write 10 pages for one question and get 18/25 but then only have time to write 4 pages for a later essay and get 9/25 for a total of 27/50 while two 6 page efforts on topic could get two 20/20 for a total of 40/50/

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
As someone who has marked trial papers and stuff in the past, the answer is no.

Why would I want to read 2000 words of drivel over 1k of succinct, strong points?

For English, part of the mark is for content. But a large portion of the mark is for composition, the argument, and generally your ability to make your point original, engaging, and effective. If you're just going for length, you might end up with most of the content, but you would seriously lose out in terms of structure and composition.

hasdhil

HSC
No never, because people tend to begin to retell the whole novel or movie, whatever the text is. It can also become really repetitive because you start to write the same thing but in different words. You can not proving to the marker that you know the text on a deeper level and have a interpretion it. The marker might even become annoyed at reading the response, that is not a good impression and you want the opposite. You want them to love reading it and not put it down.

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
I'll have to agree with Blue suede, honestly I see it to be quite logical. Though I believe that the true importance is answering the question, as has been repeated and drilled into my brain by teachers everywhere. i.e. you could write a 20 paged essay and still not answer the question. It's actually a lot more frequent than you think, perhaps not at the extent of a 20 paged essay. Although quantity does play a small integral part in it, I reckon that quality (answering the question specifically) is the real point maker, I don't believe the marking criteria has bonus points for a lot more quantity.
If you had that much time to be trying to write length, it'd be better off to just stop and think about the question further, then take out the relevant pieces of information that you know that is related to the question, and then write as much as you knew about it, given that the information is relevant to the question. (they probably wouldn't need to know Shakespeares birth date, etc. unless you were talking about the time periods he lived in and what influenced his play, etc. again depends on the question)
This also catches out people like you who are planning on memorising essays, if the question is different and you just spam all your irrelevant information down. GG game over man better luck next time

madharris

HSC
N/A
You will get more marks writing 500 words of quality than 2000 words of rubbish

Secant

HSC
N/A
for english I just break the question in two parts, see if I agree or disagree with each, write a paragraph on each. paragraphs are saturated with quotes that directly support my argument. I answer the question directly and and keep referring to it, been doing great in english
for creative, I wrote one about a girl who feels a sense of belonging to her musical instrument. Full marks.

Secant

HSC
N/A
for english I just break the question into two parts, see if I agree or disagree with each, write a paragraph on each. paragraphs are saturated with quotes that directly support my argument. I answer the question directly and and keep referring to it, been doing great in english
for creative, I wrote one about a girl who feels a sense of belonging to her musical instrument. Full marks.

~peace out homie~

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
It's not really the best/most efficient way to go about things but essentially yes. If you write enough, as long as there is a degree of quality and it's relevant to the topic or question, you're almost guaranteed to write something good. Though writing 20 pages to get 17/20 on one essay isn't recommended at all.

yasminee96

HSC
I think that if one person writes about 1000 words with strong, quality points, and another person writes 2000 words of strong, quality points (and of course structure style etc), then in that case, quantity can assist.

do correct me if i'm wrong :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)