Is It Possible To Get An Estimated Mark For Preliminary Exams? (1 Viewer)

claudiflower

HSC
Hello everyoneee, an odd question I know but does anyone know if it is at all possible to receive an estimation for the preliminary exam if illness and misadventure occur around the exam time? My mental health conditions are acting up in a major way and I just need to know if it is at all possible because I know my school is less than lenient about actually helping students.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello everyoneee, an odd question I know but does anyone know if it is at all possible to receive an estimation for the preliminary exam if illness and misadventure occur around the exam time? My mental health conditions are acting up in a major way and I just need to know if it is at all possible because I know my school is less than lenient about actually helping students.
I think so. From personal experience I do remember a friend of mine getting one. However it’s year 11 so it may vary from schools. Best bet is to straight up ask your school.

claudiflower

HSC
I think so. From personal experience I do remember a friend of mine getting one. However it’s year 11 so it may vary from schools. Best bet is to straight up ask your school.
Thank you so much :) I will definitely ask them, I doubt this would work if something happened during the HSC though right?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much :) I will definitely ask them, I doubt this would work if something happened during the HSC though right?
Year 12 is a lot more formal. They can definitely give estimations in year 12. Rarely they may even give you a separate paper which I’ve only seen happen once because it’s very dodgy.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The external HSC that's a different ball-game given the illness misadventure is decided by NESA, however, for internal exams at your school there will likely be something present.

When I was in Year 12, the first bunch of exams in the first term I feel sick. I did the exams but took out illness misadventure as well as that's what my school recommended. The way the estimation process works is quite strict in terms of at my school your mark later in the year for that assessment would be reassessed based on your ranks in other assessment tasks and if you scored lower in those than the exam you were sick you didn't get any adjustment. But as DrDusk said you should ask your school specifically as they will have their own policies and procedures on how they do estimates.

claudiflower

HSC
Year 12 is a lot more formal. They can definitely give estimations in year 12. Rarely they may even give you a separate paper which I’ve only seen happen once because it’s very dodgy.
So it can happen in year 12? or did you mean they definitely give estimations in year 11?

claudiflower

HSC
The external HSC that's a different ball-game given the illness misadventure is decided by NESA, however, for internal exams at your school there will likely be something present.

When I was in Year 12, the first bunch of exams in the first term I feel sick. I did the exams but took out illness misadventure as well as that's what my school recommended. The way the estimation process works is quite strict in terms of at my school your mark later in the year for that assessment would be reassessed based on your ranks in other assessment tasks and if you scored lower in those than the exam you were sick you didn't get any adjustment. But as DrDusk said you should ask your school specifically as they will have their own policies and procedures on how they do estimates.
By internal exams, you mean things like the trial HSC correct?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
By internal exams, you mean things like the trial HSC correct?
Internal exams refers to all the assessments you do throughout the year at school. So that's not only the trial exams, it also includes previous tasks

claudiflower

HSC
Internal exams refers to all the assessments you do throughout the year at school. So that's not only the trial exams, it also includes previous tasks
Do you think they could do something like this in the HSC too?? Sorry for all the questions haha I just know this is an odd experience a lot of people don't deal with.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think they could do something like this in the HSC too?? Sorry for all the questions haha I just know this is an odd experience a lot of people don't deal with.
There are estimations in the HSC but these are handled by NESA and not your school, so the need to provide evidence and etc. will be more strict. So not really a good idea in my opinion to take a chance with that because they could deny your special consideration. I would only take that out if something very serious or urgent occurred

claudiflower

HSC
Definitely would be much harder to convince with mental illness but I'm so glad to hear that that's a thing, I'd still much prefer to sit it but that gives me some form of backup other than having to do it all over again. Thankyou.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)