Is it possible to get into a double degree and then drop to a single degree? (1 Viewer)

coyney

HSC
Considering the ATAR requirement for the double degree (B IT and Sc) is lower than for just B IT. Is it possible to get in for the double degree and then just drop to the single degree?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Yeah man, not sure how quick you can do it though. I'm dropping down to just business if i don't like law, which i have heard is pretty common.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Yes. Rules might be slightly different for each case, but eg look at Clause 11 of the rules of BE/BSC at http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/engineering/undergraduate/combined.shtml#eng_science_comb

A candidate may abandon the combined program and elect to complete the either the Bachelor of Engineering or the Bachelor of Science in accordance with the resolutions governing that degree. Completion of the abandoned degree in the future will require a new application for admission to that course and completion in accordance with the resolutions governing that degree.

However if you take that option you must fulfil the single degree requirements (ie you get a “discount” of doing only 144 eng & 96 science in the combined degree – if you jettison one degree you must fulfil the single science requirements (which includes 144 credits points of science).

engineering

HSC
N/A
Considering the ATAR requirement for the double degree (B IT and Sc) is lower than for just B IT. Is it possible to get in for the double degree and then just drop to the single degree?
That difference is a statistical anomaly. USyd reports the cutoff as "the mark of the last person to get in" and in that case the last person to get into BIT/BSc had a lower ATAR than the last person to get into straight BIT. The "real" cutoff for combined degrees at USyd is never less than the individual single degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)