Is it possible to improve rankings in year 12? (1 Viewer)

Emmaa99

HSC
My English teacher told our class today that it is virtually impossible for students to improve their rankings from year 11 coming into year 12. Until and unless something extremely drastic does not happen you will stay at the same level at which you were in year 11.

I am so depressed and worried because in year 11 I really did not work hard due to some personal reasons. And I would like to see my rankings for some subjects to improve. Is there any hope for me at all? I am so worried.

draconiansteam

HSC
LOL of course it's possible. There was someone at my school who was ranked 99th overall in year 11 and went on to get 99.90. If you work hard and efficiently you'll improve your rankings, it's as simple as that.

barbernator

HSC
lol of course. the game changes in year 12 and you have to change with it. nothing is set in concrete.

Oh, and that is EXTREMELY poor form by your teacher. That implies that he/she has preconceptions on how well you will do and will most probably mark you accordingly.

enoilgam

HSC
My English teacher told our class today that it is virtually impossible for students to improve their rankings from year 11 coming into year 12. Until and unless something extremely drastic does not happen you will stay at the same level at which you were in year 11.

I am so depressed and worried because in year 11 I really did not work hard due to some personal reasons. And I would like to see my rankings for some subjects to improve. Is there any hope for me at all? I am so worried.
Another one for the list of "stupid things teachers tell students about the HSC". As has been said above, things can change heaps from prelim to year 12, not to mention that ranks start over. Although I will say this, I noticed that most of the people who did well in my year, also did well during their HSC year - so there is something to be said for a consistant performance across year 11 and 12.

madharris

HSC
N/A
YES!!! Use me as an example
(Prelim - HSC)
English: ~67th - 5th
Maths: ~31th - 10th
Bio: ~27th - 4th
Chem: ~19th - 3rd
Music: 2nd - 1st

Not trying to brag by any means, just trying prove a point. The prelim ranks do not affect your HSC ranks. Once you begin 4th term, your rankings get wiped and you start again. With lots of work, you can improve as much as you want

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
It's true that rankings DO get wiped at the start of the 4th term, but tbh if you've done well in the prelims then you've got that sort of momentum that'll help you get off to a good start in year 12.

Capt Rifle

HSC
YES!!! Use me as an example
(Prelim - HSC)
English: ~67th - 5th
Maths: ~31th - 10th
Bio: ~27th - 4th
Chem: ~19th - 3rd
Music: 2nd - 1st

Not trying to brag by any means, just trying prove a point. The prelim ranks do not affect your HSC ranks. Once you begin 4th term, your rankings get wiped and you start again. With lots of work, you can improve as much as you want
Wow, well done man. All the best for the future :)

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
It's totally possible and works both ways - a lot of people hardly try in year 11, be it consciously or subconsciously, and so when they start firing in year 12 the people who were at the top in year 11 find themselves with a lot more competition. Take a girl from my school for example, she came first in every subject in year 11, but once year 12 came around she dropped down and only ended up first in one subject. Sure, she still did really well (top 3-5 in each subject) but with more competition the rankings changed pretty drastically as a whole.

Oh, and the kid who came dead last in Advanced last year ended up 5th this year - anything is possible!

TooSleepy

HSC
thats...completely wrong
all our school had been telling us is that these ranks dont count and can change around dramatically!!!! years 12s came to talk to us and a couple of them were/are the top ranking people and their year 11 ranks were pretty bad!
..if year 11 ranks stayed that way i'd be pretty much doomed for hsc.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)