Is it reasonable to get a 95+ ATAR with these subjects and how difficult would it be (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
Unless you get ucat of more than 98 you aint getting into UNSW with an atar less than 99
agree...unsw is probably the most competitive course for Med at least in nsw as it’s undergraduate. unless u have rural or other points. there are heaps of other unis though, just apply to every single uni

takeshijt

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Im not sure if anyones yet mentioned this but you do need certain subjects to have been taken at HSC like chemistry. I do know that for Newcastle/New England joint program a 95 will be sufficient as they do not discriminate stars beyond that threshold.

I do know that a UCAT score of 90%+ is sufficient for most dent/med courses across Australia although there has been a rising trend over the last few years.

UNSW indeed does require an atar much higher than stated on their website of above 99.25 as for 2020 entry. This may fluctuate in future years.

As for UCAT study, its fine to study for a few months before the examination and not prep a couple of years before, because by then I think you'd forget the strategies and techniques.

I did the UCAT for next year and got a 95%, ATAR 96.45 and got interview invites at multiple unis across Aus, so it comes down to a lot of factors.

dumNerd

HSC
Hey Im not sure if anyones yet mentioned this but you do need certain subjects to have been taken at HSC like chemistry. I do know that for Newcastle/New England joint program a 95 will be sufficient as they do not discriminate stars beyond that threshold.

I do know that a UCAT score of 90%+ is sufficient for most dent/med courses across Australia although there has been a rising trend over the last few years.

UNSW indeed does require an atar much higher than stated on their website of above 99.25 as for 2020 entry. This may fluctuate in future years.

As for UCAT study, its fine to study for a few months before the examination and not prep a couple of years before, because by then I think you'd forget the strategies and techniques.

I did the UCAT for next year and got a 95%, ATAR 96.45 and got interview invites at multiple unis across Aus, so it comes down to a lot of factors.
Wait what how did you get so many interviews tf?

Tester1212

HSC
it doesn’t really matter when u start studying just try your hardest... it’s not really the end of the world if you have to do it again next year. and you can also apply to unis which don’t require it, it doesn’t matter what uni you go to in the end as long as you get the degree
Yep, completely agree with you.

You'd probably have to check specific uni's prerequisites for Doctor of Medicine

jojosiwa123

HSC

I’m pretty sure chem isn’t a prerequisite but I think some unis recommend you do at least one science subject? but it differs from uni to uni

Tester1212

HSC
agree...unsw is probably the most competitive course for Med at least in nsw as it’s undergraduate. unless u have rural or other points. there are heaps of other unis though, just apply to every single uni
If UNSW is out of reach unless you get a 99 ATAR, what kind of ATAR is needed for a chance at any other uni's in NSW?

jojosiwa123

HSC
If UNSW is out of reach unless you get a 99 ATAR, what kind of ATAR is needed for a chance at any other uni's in NSW?
Newcastle, WSU/CSU, there are a few others but not sure if they’re undergrad. question though why aren’t you also looking interstate unis? you might have to move out either way...
ahahah you seem super set on UNSW but im just saying there are so many other unis out there... I don’t think it’s a good idea to become set on just the one bc again it really doesn’t matter where you get your degree

takeshijt

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I’m pretty sure chem isn’t a prerequisite but I think some unis recommend you do at least one science subject? but it differs from uni to uni
I know Adelaide (or biology), Monash, Curtin, JCU, UTAS have a chemistry requirement.

iamnotlegendary

HSC
Hi, 2020 graduate and UNSW med hopeful here,
To clarify, for non-rural UNSW med, the absolute cutoff for ATAR last year was 99.25 - if you get under this you will not get an interview regardless of UCAT. The median atar was 99.7.
The absolute UCAT cutoff was 90th percentile whilst the median was 97th. The percentile is a better indication as the scores required for each percentile shifted up drastically this year.
UNSW selection is done by ranks; they take your rank out of all the applicants for all 3 areas (interview, atar, ucat), add them then take the top [x] number and give them offers. As such, if you are near the cutoff for ucat or atar, you will need to achieve near-perfectly for the other sections.
e.g: if you get 99.25 atar, you will need a 99th ucat (top percentile) or a very high 98th, if you get low 90s ucat you will need around a .7> atar to compensate.
Source: UNSW open day - they are quite transparent about this (unlike some other unis)

Good luck, hopefully I'll see you there next year!

dumNerd

HSC
Hi, 2020 graduate and UNSW med hopeful here,
To clarify, for non-rural UNSW med, the absolute cutoff for ATAR last year was 99.25 - if you get under this you will not get an interview regardless of UCAT. The median atar was 99.7.
The absolute UCAT cutoff was 90th percentile whilst the median was 97th. The percentile is a better indication as the scores required for each percentile shifted up drastically this year.
UNSW selection is done by ranks; they take your rank out of all the applicants for all 3 areas (interview, atar, ucat), add them then take the top [x] number and give them offers. As such, if you are near the cutoff for ucat or atar, you will need to achieve near-perfectly for the other sections.
e.g: if you get 99.25 atar, you will need a 99th ucat (top percentile) or a very high 98th, if you get low 90s ucat you will need around a .7> atar to compensate.
Source: UNSW open day - they are quite transparent about this (unlike some other unis)

Good luck, hopefully I'll see you there next year!
Hope you make it !!!!

chaevely_park

HSC
Yes, it’s on the month of July. Booking is on the 1st of March. I recommend you to use this holiday to study, if you need any resources let me know :]
hello! is it possible for you to recommend me some good ucat resources? also, how did you decide when was the best time to book the ucat?

satvik_1008

HSC
My subjects are;
- English Standard
- Maths Stand 2
- Modern History
- Business Studies
- SOR1
- Polish Continuers (2U)

How difficult would it be to get a 95+ ATAR?

Also, when should you start studying for UCAT? A month or two after HSC?
eek kinda looking rough given that ur subs (apart from modern and business) aren't the best scalers. ur basically looking at 93+ aligned for everything and at least mid b5's for buss and modern

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)