Is it suicide to do both Extension 2 courses (Eng + Maths)? (1 Viewer)

lindaguo

HSC
My older bro did 4u English and 4u Maths, no regrets. You do need 4 subjects to count towards your hsc tho, and mx1 and 2 and eng1 and eng2 counts as one subject each, so you'd need to do 2 extra randoms, which is usually eco,chem, physics etc

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lsam said:
what do you mean by 4 subjects?

you mean like
mx1, mx2, maths (treat them as 3 subjects)

OR mx, m2, maths (treat it as one subject)
You need 4 different subejcts.

4unit math, 4unit enghlish, subject, subject.

shimmer205

HSC
I was thinking about doing both 4 unit courses, then i could bludge art because it doesn't count. I dont know if I have the motivation for that much maths though... Good job for you guys who are doing it, your self control and time management must be fantastic!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's suicide if you do shit in them because that equates to doing shit 8/10 units.

zeleboy

HSC
tellytubbies said:
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so please move it if necessary.

The title says it all. Has it been done before? How well do you/would you/did you cope? What are the stress factors for them both?

Everyone does 10 units in the HSC. Most people do the subjects they enjoy/are good at/are motivated in, right? Say, if a person's strongest points are maths and English... and they do not enjoy, nor excel at, anything else... is it not logical to fill these 10 units with these subjects? (Of course, they'd have to choose a couple more subjects to fill the 10 units; 4U + 4U =/= 10U.)

Having said that, why are the 2 Extension courses so "feared"?

Please explain the amount of stress one would receive under these conditions, considering that this person in question has dealt with very little stress through the preliminaries of English Ext 1 and Maths Ext 1 (and has done very well in both).
If you enjoy the subjects, they are actually very helpful subjects in terms of scaling. Ofcourse, you would have to take two more subjects to fulfill the requirements, but since Extension 2 English does not have a written examination, you're only looking at 6 Tests.

cheney31

HSC
runnable said:
Its good if you are good at those subjects. I know at least two people with UAI 100 with those two EXT2 subjects...

and they are not feared lol, some even enjoy them...
to my knowledge.. those people who did the two ext courses mostly are people who accelerate in yr 11.. they would have done math 3u by the time they get to yr 12 and so the basically just doing 1 math + eng ext 2...

and no matter how good u r in these 2 subjects. they are soooo different.. ur mind doesnt work in the same way when you doing one or the other..

so YES it is suicide...LOL

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i'm not one of those 'most' people that cheney31 is talking about.

and i love how both subjects are so different.

today i started off with 4 unit maths, got frustrated by a few questions and paused to work on my english extension reflection statement....and having finished that, went back to maths in a better mood and got through the questions.

T

tellytubbies

jazzbaby said:
english is NOT gay.
Definitely not. <3 English.

u-borat said:
i'm not one of those 'most' people that cheney31 is talking about.

and i love how both subjects are so different.

today i started off with 4 unit maths, got frustrated by a few questions and paused to work on my english extension reflection statement....and having finished that, went back to maths in a better mood and got through the questions.
Haha, that's exactly how I feel most of the time. I'm quite capable with both maths & English, so when one isn't pleasant to me, I look to the other for comfort, haha.
Thanks for all your feedback by the way, I feel more confident in choosing the two extension subjects now. English Extension 2 appears to be quite fun.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
my maths teacher said that its not suicide. And she's so mean, she said that people who do any Ext 2 subjects:

Have no Life

and she said any teacher that teaches Ext 2:

Has no Life
and
no wonder has mood swings

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
geeze.... I hope your teacher teaches ext 2, because it is usually the people who make statements like that who have no life. lol

bored of sc

HSC
If you managed to get all band 6's/E4's then that wouldn't be suicide at all. It would be like a Godsend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)