Is it true that you can't get over 98? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
So in terms of aligning, standard does suck dick? :O
It probably has the worst aligning of all. Also, if fizzy_cyst's information is correct, less people got a band 6 in standard this year then they did last year (last year it was 64/32,000 iirc).

Aysce

HSC
At above, yes i also thought that since the standard cohort is mostly full of these ... people, it makes it even more difficult. That as well as the fact that it is not that difficult

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Let me tell you, if you're doing Standard English you need to work a bit harder then advanced kids due to the difficulty of getting band 6. I had to edit/remember essays everyday. I spent about 1hr a day on english throughout the year (which isn't much) but it was worth it in the end.

I found Standard English easier to top (I came 1st in the school overall) because we had a cohort of derps. Not to be cocky but Standard English generally has a cohort who doesn't give a shit about their ATAR nor the outcomes of the cohort. Although we had 2-3 people who were constantly trying throughout the year and were capable for band 6which gave me huge competition and the motivation to study more. So rank wise you would need to top your school especially in my situation it was crucial, I needed the highest rank possible since my school was ranked 213 and i was up against kids in the top 50-100 schools.

I only ended up with 89 for Standard which is still impressive in my opinion, I wrote 3-5 essays a week in year 12 and showed the teacher or i showed her my quotes/ideas. However i got close to 100 for paper 2 and i assume around 30/45 for paper 1, my internal mark was really crap it was around 78 because i screwed up half yearlies only get 75.

I am not sure but Advanced English would be a better solution and more easier in my opinion, stronger cohort also.

enoilgam

HSC
Let me tell you, if you're doing Standard English you need to work a bit harder then advanced kids due to the difficulty of getting band 6. I had to edit/remember essays everyday. I spent about 1hr a day on english throughout the year (which isn't much) but it was worth it in the end.

I found Standard English easier to top (I came 1st in the school overall) because we had a cohort of derps. Not to be cocky but Standard English generally has a cohort who doesn't give a shit about their ATAR nor the outcomes of the cohort. Although we had 2-3 people who were constantly trying throughout the year and were capable for band 6which gave me huge competition and the motivation to study more. So rank wise you would need to top your school especially in my situation it was crucial, I needed the highest rank possible since my school was ranked 213 and i was up against kids in the top 50-100 schools.

I only ended up with 89 for Standard which is still impressive in my opinion, I wrote 3-5 essays a week in year 12 and showed the teacher or i showed her my quotes/ideas. However i got close to 100 for paper 2 and i assume around 30/45 for paper 1, my internal mark was really crap it was around 78 because i screwed up half yearlies only get 75.

I am not sure but Advanced English would be a better solution and more easier in my opinion, stronger cohort also.
Very true, especially whats in bold. With advanced, the vast majority of students who do it care about their ATAR and school to some extent. With standard, you get a lot of people who couldnt care less about their HSC marks, as they just want a piece of paper saying they completed the HSC. You also get many people who dont qualify for an ATAR. This is part of the reason why it is difficult to succeed in standard. Also, as krnofdrg said, you will need to work way harder than advanced guys for the marks. To be honest, getting a 90 in standard would probably be the equivalent of getting a 93 or 94 in advanced.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Very true, especially whats in bold. With advanced, the vast majority of students who do it care about their ATAR and school to some extent. With standard, you get a lot of people who couldnt care less about their HSC marks, as they just want a piece of paper saying they completed the HSC. You also get many people who dont qualify for an ATAR. This is part of the reason why it is difficult to succeed in standard. Also, as krnofdrg said, you will need to work way harder than advanced guys for the marks. To be honest, getting a 90 in standard would probably be the equivalent of getting a 93 or 94 in advanced.
Statistically we had 10/70 people who got over 50% for trials. Although Advanced has immense competition which scares me ~.~ . I think the general assumption people make that is Standard English is easier like General maths but that is not the case since the allinging sucks so bad. You could easily breeze band 5 in Advanced by getting mediocre-low ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)