Is it worth doing a Arts degree? (1 Viewer)

Danny Butterman

HSC
N/A
I want to engineering degree but i'm also debating on whether or not to do a double degree (The Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Arts). If i was do the arts degree it would only be to learn another language. My questions are is it worth putting in the extra year and money for the arts degree and to anyone who has done this before was it worth it? Overall is it worth doing a Arts degree?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
All knowledge is helpful knowledge. If you're interested in certain disciplines in the Arts faculty, then by all means go for it.

In your case though there are other options if all you want to do is study a language. Have you considered a Diploma of Language Studies? Most universities would offer this concurrently with any Bachelor degree, so you could study a language with minimal disruption to your engineering degree.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If you have an interest in it, do it. Don't do it for job prospects.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't recommend doing an Arts degree on the basis of learning a language.

Language majors are considered as very rigorous and may not suit the learning style for students looking to learn a language. Usually these majors are recommended for students which explicitly require a language major for their career.

The better option would be to learn the language on your own time. That way, you can learn at your own pace and at a much cheaper price.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahaahahahaha arts degree, ahahahahaha lel.

On a serious note, engineering ftw

enoilgam

HSC
I actually thought the thread was going to be another arts bashing thread. Anyway, to answer the question, dont do a degree just to learn a language. A degree will cost you maybe 15 - 20 grand, whereas external language classes will cost you 2 or 3 grand at the most.

Lina3

HSC
Doing an Arts degree on its own is risky (career-wise), but doing a BA in a double degree is certainly a bonus...provided your major is in some way related to your other degree. It is true that many of the things you learn in arts you can just learn in your own time through the internet and however if you want a career in fields like English, History, Women's Studies, Sociology etc you do have to do that degree. If you wanted a career in languages, a degree would probably be necessary, however as a bonus skill to have on your resume, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking classes at a community college or private lessons with a native speaker. I believe they even have official exams where you can get an official certificate saying what level of skill you are at.
That's just my point of view...of course at the end its up to you. If you are really passionate about the language you want to learn, maybe a degree WOULD be a good option.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want to learn a language, do it elsewhere. My friend learned at TAFE and after initial "lol dude y u study at tafe"... after he started speaking fluently I have subsequently eaten my words and acknowledged his proficiency

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
100% no - this is coming from someone who made the incorrect choice and did the arts degree (with dual languages).

Basically it isn't worth it when you factor in both the time and cost - if your university offers a language diploma to free up some credits I would suggest that if you are really keen on the idea. Exchange is the best method to acquire a new language, someone who goes on a two semester exchange and puts in a bit of effort will have vastly better communication skills than someone who completes a three year major sequence in that corresponding language. Exchange is also easier (depending what country you go to) and leaves you free to focus on the degree you actually want to work in.

Learning a language is really fucking time consuming when you aren't living in an environment where that language is being used, combining this with another degree (especially engineering) is really time consuming and the effort you need to put into the arts component is to the detriment of your real degree. Also the extra year or two at uni could be spent in the workforce meaning you are forgoing the opportunity to earn say $80k. Other things that you could do with that time include electing to take 3 subjects a semester in engineering, which would leave you eligible for youth allowance and still able to work, have a social life and achieve better grades. You could alternatively finish your degree and depending on what your target language is you could go and teach English in the country of your choice, which gives you a bit of a gap year and means you aren't copping a bunch of useless fees on your HECS.

I did a B. Arts (Japanese/Mandarin) with my Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting). If I had my time again I would absolutely not enroll in Arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)