Is it worth doing a double degree in commerce and science? (1 Viewer)

elisewalker

HSC
If I'm more interested in science, but I think the commerce degree may help me in the future?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Yea it is good but two very different degrees content wise? What career are you intending to pursue? But by all means it is up to you and this degree is pretty good imo

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
You should do it, what atar cut off is it

elisewalker

HSC
The thing is, I want to go into research so that doesn't really have much to do with commerce. I just thought that commerce may come in handy in the future. Cut off is 95.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do it and keep your options open. If you don't like Commerce you can drop it later on.

studybuddy101

HSC
if you know you want to go into research then don't bother with commerce, it'll limit the amount of science electives you can take and lengthen the time taken to complete your degree. For a research career i recommend you just take science, complete an honours year thesis and go straight to a PHD (you'll earn a master's degree in the process of getting your PHD). Fastest way to get straight into a lifetime of awesome science

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do it and keep your options open. If you don't like Commerce you can drop it later on.
This.

The thing is, I want to go into research so that doesn't really have much to do with commerce. I just thought that commerce may come in handy in the future. Cut off is 95.
I'm not sure, but I think a portion of Commerce is research in terms of financial advising and stuff (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Can you imagine yourself doing this type of research at one stage OP?

jenslekman

HSC
if you're set on research, you should take a straight science degree - but doing a double degree in commerce and science keeps your options open. you may find out during your degree that research is not for you (when you start doing actual research) but the skills that you acquire from science may be very helpful in many commerce related fields. i suggest doing the double degree, but if you don't like either science or commerce, drop that component of your degree in 2nd year - or if you like both science and commerce, stick with it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm not sure, but I think a portion of Commerce is research in terms of financial advising and stuff (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Can you imagine yourself doing this type of research at one stage OP?
Not quite. There is definitely an academic research side in Commerce, much like Science. For example, in finance research there have been new models of asset returns being proposed and empirical evidence gathered to test those models.

jaechen

HSC
if you're set on research, you should take a straight science degree - but doing a double degree in commerce and science keeps your options open. you may find out during your degree that research is not for you (when you start doing actual research) but the skills that you acquire from science may be very helpful in many commerce related fields. i suggest doing the double degree, but if you don't like either science or commerce, drop that component of your degree in 2nd year - or if you like both science and commerce, stick with it.
+1

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Not quite. There is definitely an academic research side in Commerce, much like Science. For example, in finance research there have been new models of asset returns being proposed and empirical evidence gathered to test those models.
Also, in the accounting field, there is research on "creative accounting", where accountants manipulate accounting numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)