Is it worth double majoring in Psych + Neuro? (1 Viewer)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm enrolled in Psychological Science at UNSW with a major in Psychology. I am 100% sure of entering clinical after, which requires a 75%+ average in my psychology subjects.

I'm not sure whether I should also major in neuroscience. I don't know what I would do with it after my degree, I worry it may take away from time spent ensuring I meet the 75+ mark for psych, and I didn't do science in Yr11-12, however I am somewhat interested in it and don't want to limit myself career-wise with just a single major. I know there are better majors career-wise (HR management, marketing) but I have 0 interest in those.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
No wayyy legit everything you said is something I completely agree with-
Honestly I picked psych sci and neuro simply because I wasn't interested in any major and that people told me that is was difficult in choosing to major in Criminology (which is the only other major I was interested in, but again, forensic psychology has limited career prospects) but yeah I don't think you're wasting your time and especially since we're planning on clinical psychology, picking a health-related major whether neuro or vision science seems most appropriate, the other arts/humanities such as HRM, philo or linguistics seem interesting but again, won't exactly be helpful if you're planning on clinical psych and rather business related psychology)

It's ok if you didn't choose science, honestly I picked Bio to open up career paths and even then I did garbage in it imfao but if you're planning to do with psych sci and neuro it means you're gonna need to bo psych, bio, chem and math, and being me, I chose the easier versions since I haven't done Prelim or hsc chemistry lol. Don't worry, so long as you're fully set on clinical psych (like me gang gang) and want to do neuro, we'll find something preferable in the health sector!!!

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
No wayyy legit everything you said is something I completely agree with-
Honestly I picked psych sci and neuro simply because I wasn't interested in any major and that people told me that is was difficult in choosing to major in Criminology (which is the only other major I was interested in, but again, forensic psychology has limited career prospects) but yeah I don't think you're wasting your time and especially since we're planning on clinical psychology, picking a health-related major whether neuro or vision science seems most appropriate, the other arts/humanities such as HRM, philo or linguistics seem interesting but again, won't exactly be helpful if you're planning on clinical psych and rather business related psychology)

It's ok if you didn't choose science, honestly I picked Bio to open up career paths and even then I did garbage in it imfao but if you're planning to do with psych sci and neuro it means you're gonna need to bo psych, bio, chem and math, and being me, I chose the easier versions since I haven't done Prelim or hsc chemistry lol. Don't worry, so long as you're fully set on clinical psych (like me gang gang) and want to do neuro, we'll find something preferable in the health sector!!!
Omg no way!! I was having the same problem, I was super interested in the philo major but I don't think that would open many doors for me career wise.
Yeah, as soon as I saw the chem and bio required in the first term I was ready to quit then and there haha. I've read through the course guides though and as far as I know, only chem1011 has assumed knowledge (yr11 chem). Was gonna take chem1001 instead or as prep but I think chem1011 is a prerequisite to some of the later classes? Not 100% sure, I'll have to check it out.
Thanks for your help!! Btw idk if you're on hsc disc group on fb or not but this girl doing adv sci majoring in psych and neuro made a group for people going into psych. Highly recommend checking that out!

Neuroscience is a very good complement to psych
Yeah that's what I was thinking, would probably be especially good for research or if I decide to go on to psychiatry later in life (which takes at least a decade, fmd)

Frostguard

HSC
Omg no way!! I was having the same problem, I was super interested in the philo major but I don't think that would open many doors for me career wise.
Yeah, as soon as I saw the chem and bio required in the first term I was ready to quit then and there haha. I've read through the course guides though and as far as I know, only chem1011 has assumed knowledge (yr11 chem). Was gonna take chem1001 instead or as prep but I think chem1011 is a prerequisite to some of the later classes? Not 100% sure, I'll have to check it out.
Thanks for your help!! Btw idk if you're on hsc disc group on fb or not but this girl doing adv sci majoring in psych and neuro made a group for people going into psych. Highly recommend checking that out!

Yeah, I’m already in the group imao was like one of the first 10 to join HAHAHAHA but yeah you should be doing chem1011 it’s basically a rerun of prelim chem which shouldn’t be too hard, same with babs1201 which covers bio too!! There’s a sample program timetable on the psych sci handbook for 2019 so I just followed that to ensure I’m fulfilling both psych snd neuro

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
You will get a deeper understanding of everything which is good.
Yeah for sure. Thanks for your help :)

Yeah, I’m already in the group imao was like one of the first 10 to join HAHAHAHA but yeah you should be doing chem1011 it’s basically a rerun of prelim chem which shouldn’t be too hard, same with babs1201 which covers bio too!! There’s a sample program timetable on the psych sci handbook for 2019 so I just followed that to ensure I’m fulfilling both psych snd neuro
Lol same here
Thank goodness for that sample program, jfc wouldn't have had a clue what to do without it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)