Is it worth it to buy an access card? (1 Viewer)

do u find the access card useful?

• yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • no

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

funnytomato

HSC
lol, I wasn't qiute serious about the votes.
I'm on campus 5 days a week , so I think I'll use it a lot even though sometimes I'll bring lunch from home
and I'll join a few soc/clubs, so I guess it's worth it

EDIT-there's like 1 year's subscription of SMH that comes with the access card, from what I saw on the website

btw, is it worth it to buy the 3-year one ? since it's like $110 +$90+$90 if I buy seperately

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
btw, is it worth it to buy the 3-year one ? since it's like $110 +$90+$90 if I buy seperately
well this is only the second year that that option has been available (before that you had to rebuy every year, and there wasn't a price difference), so i've never got it. However it appears that buying a 3 year one saves you $70, so I guess it probably is worth it if you know you are going to want to buy the access card every year. (If the option had been around I would have bought it, however I've only got two years of uni left now).

ps. just in case any other first years look onto this thread- all college kids get access cards included in your college fees. So don't buy one!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I bought the 5 year one for $350. Essentially makes a year of being part of the USU $70, each semester is $35. I saved about $15 on law camp by having Access, that's over a third of what I needed to make up the cost of Access. So yes, it's quite worth it.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
im a noob at usyd (first year.. lol).. but ive been looking at places to buy textbooks and this comtext one seems cheaper than co-op (even without the membership fee) if youre part of access

non co-op = $488.75
co-op = $444.74 (without the membership fee)
comtext = 410.74

so really its like a $75+ saving per semester (from the general public without co-op)
and on the 3 yr lifetime one its only $37 a semester.. so from that perspective (not saying im actually going to buy all my textbooks.. just the ones that are new editions and i cant find on sale forums) it seems worth it...

and because im also a noob driver it saves $12 for every lesson i have haha..

but thats just my opinion i guess (i plan to try and get my moneys worth though.. by spending even more money)

HSC
Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

I've tried justifying that it is worth it before but it didn't work out. Although I enjoy the idea of having access as a way of feeling more involved or connected to the university, it still does not balance out with the fact that I know I will not use 100 dollars (or more) worth of services and discounts. It seems silly to spend money where it does not need to go, especially on my tight student budget.

I think if you wanted to be a social butterfly at uni you don't need an access card anyway. Faculty socs are generally free to students from the faculty, and there are plenty of other events during the year that do not discriminate based on this card.

I hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)