• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
Is it worth it to keep a subject that you know won't be counted towards your ATAR and you most probably will not be able to improve in it; just to have 12 units for the HSC.

Since everyone I've talked to says that doing less than 12 units is pretty much setting yourself up for failure. But what's the point if you know that there's is no hope for you in that particulr subject? Is it better to drop or is it too risky at this stage?

Hazballs

HSC
If you know it won't be counted towards your atar you may as well drop it, then you have 8 extra study periods a fort night to spend on your other subjects.. I'd just drop it

leesh95

HSC
What are the consequences of having 10 units as compared to 12? Would it automatically affect your ATAR.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
What are the consequences of having 10 units as compared to 12? Would it automatically affect your ATAR.
With 10 units, you have no 'cushion' whereas with 12 units you do.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Having 12 units and not bothering with 2, is the same as just having 10. Only difference is with twelve you are limiting yourself to reach your potential.

Jikky

HSC
How about knowing you will not get as great a mark as any of your other subjects and keeping it anyway just so that you have "fulfilled the requirements" in order to get into a Uni course? 2U Maths.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Having 12 units and not bothering with 2, is the same as just having 10. Only difference is with twelve you are limiting yourself to reach your potential.
That's why i want to drop sor, don't even have notes for half yearlies and its on Friday LOL

leesh95

HSC
With 10 units, you have no 'cushion' whereas with 12 units you do.
I don't know with this particular subject I even tried tutoring, spending at least an hour on it daily. I have done everything but still no real improvement.

Hazballs

HSC
I don't know with this particular subject I even tried tutoring, spending at least an hour on it daily. I have done everything but still no real improvement.
so get rid of it and spend all that time on other subjects

hoofheartedgirl

HSC
If you think you're doing well in your other 10 units then by all means drop it. However if you are doing poor in a 2 of the 10 units you're left with, then obviously don't drop it.

Make sure you actually TRIED studying to the best of your ability in that subject though. Don't just have your heart set on dropping it and don't end up actually studying that subject. What if you actually are good at it but you just haven't tried hard enough?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah if you are confident that you won't do well in this 2 unit subject, drop it. I went through that myself. I kept economics and it took up a substantial amount of my time yet did not count. I stuck with it though because I was interested in it. If you don't like this subject, all the more reason to drop it. But you also have to have tried to improve. Many people have excelled in the HSC with 10 units. Only you know how you're going so only you can make that decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)