Is it worth ordering a mark recheck?? (2 Viewers)

SayWut

HSC
Yes, they definitely accept AAA. I know many people doing Commerce/Law at UNSW who have ATARS alot lower than the 99.65 cut-off. In case you guys are wondering, I'm talking about 2012 first years, not transfers.

Last edited:

funstudy

HSC
Applying for bonus points is already too late. Just pray and hope for the best, although past results show ATARS are remaining the same/increasing. You can always transfer.

Meshy590

HSC
They do definitely. On the website it says the only courses excepted are med and one other similar one + I know a few peeps in UNSW comm/law through AAA. Unless if they're changing the system for next year?
I really hope they change it for next year, because the number of people who get into law using AAA is ridiculous

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am jelly!
And the person who got AAA at our school wasn't even dux!
(the DUX wouldn't need it. Lol)

Our DUX didn't get it either. The Asian guy that came fourth did because he was the only one going to UNSW (because he's azn).

Magical Kebab

HSC
Wait what?

I know it's the principals decision but why wouldn't they award it to the DUX?

So if I get DUX at my school (ranked ~400), I wouldn't necessarily get the AAA scholarship?

Man oh man...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait what?

I know it's the principals decision but why wouldn't they award it to the DUX?

So if I get DUX at my school (ranked ~400), I wouldn't necessarily get the AAA scholarship?

Man oh man...
The DUX at my school already got a few scholarships for UWS. Then they asked my friend and he said no, and me and I said no, and then the other guy and he was like "yeah brah."

Magical Kebab

HSC
The DUX at my school already got a few scholarships for UWS. Then they asked my friend and he said no, and me and I said no, and then the other guy and he was like "yeah brah."

But do they do this at all schools? (Guessing they would cos they wouldn't give it to someone who's going to usyd then tell the guy who's going to UNSW to eff off)

I mean, if they didn't ask the students on preferences etc. the principal cant just give it to the kid he thinks deserves it ie. they'd award it to the DUX.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
AAA is so retarded. You get more points for being the top student in a shitty school than you do for representing Australia in an international academic olympiad. 'Academic Achievement' my ass...

HSC
Re OP's actual request:

As deswa1 said I doubt they'd make that many mistakes to allow you to bump up from .6 to .7...

Re AAA;

At my school, they asked people which unis they were interested in and awarded the AAA scholarship to the 'top' or predicted ATAR 'top' student who wanted to go to UNSW. My friend got it and he ended up with 99.25, Arts/Law at UNSW for him. Everyone above that is going to USYD (lol elitists).

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Re AAA;

At my school, they asked people which unis they were interested in and awarded the AAA scholarship to the 'top' or predicted ATAR 'top' student who wanted to go to UNSW.
My school did this as well.

NickGero

HSC
AAA is so retarded. You get more points for being the top student in a shitty school than you do for representing Australia in an international academic olympiad. 'Academic Achievement' my ass...
Completely nonsensical comment. Obviously their recognising that getting a higher mark at an under-achieving school deserves credit when considered against those inherently advantaged by a state-ranking cohort.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
It's not based on getting a 'higher' mark -- this implies that they did well despite going to a bad school. It's getting the top mark in that school (filtered by who has UNSW in their prefs), which could still mean not doing all that great. Getting the top mark in a shitty school deserves no more credit (in fact, probably less) than getting the top mark in a good school. It also gives an IMMENSE advantage to this possibly mediocre student, while a very good (but not top) student at a better school, who could have put in a lot more work and is arguably more deserving of that spot in their chosen course, would miss out. A friend of mine missed out on Combined Law at UNSW (by .05) because he only gets 3 bonus points, although his achievements in that area are substantial and notable; and yet they give out FIVE points, reserved in the EAP table for the highest echelon of international athletes and performers, to some more-or-less bright kid at a worse school.

I also disagree with the idea that the supposed top student at a school will be disadvantaged by their cohort. The assessment weighting scheme is very fair. If the rest of your cohort are bad enough that they have the potential to drag you down, then you should be consistently ranking higher than them in assessments anyway.

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Completely nonsensical comment. Obviously their recognising that getting a higher mark at an under-achieving school deserves credit when considered against those inherently advantaged by a state-ranking cohort.
Not really, it's pretty retarded that someone at Baulko can't get AAA because they "only" got 99.85 or something.

2xL

HSC
UNSW LAW here i come, AAA i lurve u baby xoxo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)