is it worth spending time to go from a 19 --> 20 essay? (1 Viewer)

ms_grape_taco

HSC
yeah just wondering, coz i feel like there is always more stuff you can add in....

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah just wondering, coz i feel like there is always more stuff you can add in....
it definitely is, I got 19s for my trials and I'm aiming to get 20s for those essays in the hsc - if you get 19s consistently for your essays it already shows you're more than capable of a 20. it's less of 'adding more stuff' though and more of how your argument is structured and expressed (because the top band already shows you have strong understanding of your texts, it's just smaller details like how you weave in context, how developed is your own personal voice and engagement in the essay, etc)

howcanibesmarter

HSC
i think to go from a 19 to a 20 is not necessarily adding better analysis/quotes (sure it will improve your marks to some extent) but the main difference between that 1 mark is more influenced on how you are answering a question.

hehe43

HSC
it definitely is, I got 19s for my trials and I'm aiming to get 20s for those essays in the hsc - if you get 19s consistently for your essays it already shows you're more than capable of a 20. it's less of 'adding more stuff' though and more of how your argument is structured and expressed (because the top band already shows you have strong understanding of your texts, it's just smaller details like how you weave in context, how developed is your own personal voice and engagement in the essay, etc)
It can absolutely be about adding more stuff, it's not uncommon for people to get 18-19s just bc their essay was a tad short. Quantity is a quality in and of itself up to a certain extent in eng adv

MJRey

HSC
I mean, bear in mind that English is subjective and you never know what markers you'll get on the day, so anything in the A range is highly respectable.

ms_grape_taco

HSC
for an 18 essay, how do i know if i lost marks because (1) i didn't answer the question or (2) the stuff i was saying wrong?

(this is for mod a btw)

MJRey

HSC
Often it's for tiny things, eg. you may have answered the question really well in one paragraph but not the next because you didn't elaborate on the textual conversation as well etc.

ms_grape_taco

HSC
Often it's for tiny things, eg. you may have answered the question really well in one paragraph but not the next because you didn't elaborate on the textual conversation as well etc.
is there anyway i can check this? (witout going to my teacher)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Well, if your teachers are good markers, they would tell you through handwritten feedback attached to your essay.
the markers always give the most generic feedback that is no help at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)