is it WORTH to do combine degree of "engineering"(petro/mining) with something else? (1 Viewer)

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
engineering/science or engineering/commerce

i'm an international student, next year i'm going to do petroleum or mining engineering at UNSW
and like i'm almost the top student of my school, and (international atar of unsw engineering is just about 88)
so everyone say i should do combine degree

so i wanna ask, will it worth to do the combine degree ( extra 1 year and extra 30K/year school fee for international ? )
will combine degree rise my salary ? will it make me easier to get job ? ( imo i think petroleum and mining engineering will get job quite easily ? maybe ? )

btw i totally have no idea about commerce, i'm kinda sciences/math person

thank you :D
Ps. sorry for my bad english

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce - shit if you have no interest. You won't need it for several years into the degree so you can always get a masters or something later when you are a citizen here and it's much cheaper.

Science - More for interest and extra career opportunities, but if you're set on mining engineering then don't bother.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: is it WORTH to do combine degree of "engineering"(petro/mining) with something e

Commerce - shit if you have no interest. You won't need it for several years into the degree so you can always get a masters or something later when you are a citizen here and it's much cheaper.

Science - More for interest and extra career opportunities, but if you're set on mining engineering then don't bother.
oh thank you

btw how about petroleum engineering and petroleum engineering/science ? are they different in term of job prospect and salary ?

Also is it "silly" if my first 3 perferences have the same atar ?? like
1 petroleum engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91.35
2 mining engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91
3 flexible first year engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91

i've heard like they have limited places for each course, so i wanna make sure that i can get to UNSW engineering

thank you again :)

horny unicorn

HSC
Re: is it WORTH to do combine degree of "engineering"(petro/mining) with something e

i've heard like they have limited places for each course, so i wanna make sure that i can get to UNSW engineering
i share some subjects with mining engineers

if some of those idiots can get in anyone can
dont stress

Beaconite

Banned
HSC

double degree means no scholarship :p

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

oh thank you

btw how about petroleum engineering and petroleum engineering/science ? are they different in term of job prospect and salary ?

Also is it "silly" if my first 3 perferences have the same atar ?? like
1 petroleum engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91.35
2 mining engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91
3 flexible first year engineering 2012 ATAR international 88 / domestic 91

thank you again :)
1) Having a second major can only help if you are willing to study for the extra year instead of entering the job market. It provides you with greater choice.

2) List your degree preferences on what you actually want to do. There is no strategy you can employ when setting out your preferences.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad

i share some subjects with mining engineers

if some of those idiots can get in anyone can
dont stress
LOL how r they ? what is ur course btw ? :D

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad

double degree means no scholarship :p
yeah, but as i'm an international student = no scholarship anyway T^T

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad

1) Having a second major can only help if you are willing to study for the extra year instead of entering the job market. It provides you with greater choice.

2) List your degree preferences on what you actually want to do. There is no strategy you can employ when setting out your preferences.
for 1.) since u said greater choice, so if i wanna be only petroleum engineer which work in oil/gas industry, i need not to have double degree ?
2.) since those preferences are what i wanna do, so will it be fine with all the same atar ? is this silly ?

thank you so much :D

sinophile

HSC
N/A

@OP, hell no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)