• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is Larceny an indictable matter or summary? (1 Viewer)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Is Larceny an indictable matter or summary?

I thought it would be summary because the case doesn't involve any violence or threat of violence to a person. But the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) in Section 117 states:

"Whosoever commits larceny, or any indictable offence by this Act made punishable like larceny, shall, except in the cases hereinafter otherwise provided for, be liable to imprisonment for five years. "

The case is about a 23yrold man been found with $15000 worth of electrical and white goods in a truck. Its obvious he did it-prints are all over the truck, the stolen goods and the factory(where the goods were stolen from. And in the person's wallet the police find a note from a well-known Melbourne criminal stating that he'd pay the guy $10 000 for the stolen goods.

So can anyone help me? Is it summary or indictable?

AtOm

the truth is out there....somewhere...

when it says in cases hereafter or otherwise provided for, it should give u a list of cases or at least guidelines as to specific requirements for larceny to be indictable or summary. well at least it should. However if u chuck this matter in ur essay it should boost ur marks a little.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
heres my legal advice

alrite
well u hav to look at the differences between an indictable offence and a summary offence
a summary offence is a less serious or minor offence
an indictable offence is a more serious offence
the jurisdiction of a summary offence is $0-40000
the jurisdiction of an indictable offence is >$750000
therefore it is a summary offence because it fits within its jurisdiction

hope that helps elissa :)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
LOL - i posted this ages ago - i put in both arguments - and it worked

I got 50/50 i.e. 100% i was so happy!!

thanx all for the help!

Jonathan A

HSC
elissa said:
Is Larceny an indictable matter or summary?

I thought it would be summary because the case doesn't involve any violence or threat of violence to a person. But the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) in Section 117 states:

"Whosoever commits larceny, or any indictable offence by this Act made punishable like larceny, shall, except in the cases hereinafter otherwise provided for, be liable to imprisonment for five years. "

The case is about a 23yrold man been found with $15000 worth of electrical and white goods in a truck. Its obvious he did it-prints are all over the truck, the stolen goods and the factory(where the goods were stolen from. And in the person's wallet the police find a note from a well-known Melbourne criminal stating that he'd pay the guy $10 000 for the stolen goods.

So can anyone help me? Is it summary or indictable?
Its is a good question. In my knowledge, larceny can inlcude be very serious. Usually Petty theft is the term given to a summary offence of the sought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)