Is modern politics inherently flawed? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The p00n thread

Talking political stuff, my pet hate is donkey voters.

Please if you're going to be apathetic as, just cast an informal vote. Yes, you don't care but please actually don't legitimately vote for just the first person on the ballot then (or last if you reverse donkey vote). Just invalid vote.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Please if you're going to be apathetic as, just cast an informal vote. Yes, you don't care but please actually don't legitimately vote for just the first person on the ballot then (or last if you reverse donkey vote). Just invalid vote.
Could be worth having a 'None of the above' option so that it's possible to have a rough quantification how many citizens are disillusioned with politics.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I didn't realise you were adonkeyist

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

This.

Furthermore, if you want a genuine protest vote, vote for someone who's obviously not going to win like the smokers rights party or something. ALSO. For the love of god, don't just write "fuck you" or draw a cock on the ballot paper. As someone that's going to be counting votes until 9pm after working since 7.30am it's just annoying when you see stuff like that. That being said, there was a few genuinely funny informal votes last time I worked.

All in all, I don't understand why people informal vote. There's people around the world fighting to be able to vote and some people here just throw it away. If you're disillusioned with the major parties, there's plenty of other alternatives, especially this year - there's 110 candidates running for the NSW senate, for example.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

All in all, I don't understand why people informal vote. There's people around the world fighting to be able to vote and some people here just throw it away. If you're disillusioned with the major parties, there's plenty of other alternatives, especially this year - there's 110 candidates running for the NSW senate, for example.
There's plenty of people starving while others throw food away. You can't just compare the two situations.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

But why not vote?
Some people don't care about politics, like me. I don't even know who Tony Rudd or Kevin abbott are by face, or by which party they represent.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
#yolo. I'm not even gonna bother voting properly lol.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The p00n thread

It's a waste of money .... Printing all those brochures and paying companies to show their adds. I believe that their actions should be enough to convince voters ..... not marketing/promotion.

Also , the fact that the two parties keep saying that each other are "bad" makes it harder to decide who really wants what's best for the country or whether they just want a promotion.

In china , they barely even spend money on advertising for "votes".

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Maybe people are frustrated that politicians literally lie to the public for votes, and this disheartens many people from discussing or wanting to know about politics.
The stereotype that 'politics is a dirty game' is largely true and is another reason why many people don't take it seriously and decide to donkey vote.

Other people legitimately don't care about the political system.

We also have people that in general are largely uneducated about the political system, many people don't realise that you don't vote for the leader, you vote for the party.
Sometimes this is not willful ignorance, the media certainly portrays it to be this way.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

Some people don't care about politics, like me. I don't even know who Tony Rudd or Kevin abbott are by face, or by which party they represent.
That's fair enough I guess. I still think it's irresponsible, but I totally understand where you're coming from.
It's a waste of money .... Printing all those brochures and paying companies to show their adds. I believe that their actions should be enough to convince voters ..... not marketing/promotion.

Also , the fact that the two parties keep saying that each other are "bad" makes it harder to decide who really wants what's best for the country or whether they just want a promotion.
I agree about the brochures and whatnot to an extent, but there's not really any way to stop it. At least their campaign spending isn't anything close to what they spend in the US.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

In china , they barely even spend money on advertising for "votes".
It's naive to think promotion could be totally removed from elections.

Lol and interesting example to draw on.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

lol at the Clive Palmer for PM ads on the telly

Talk about a conflict of interest, and I don't know anything about politics.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Will be waiting for a shit tone of brochures and signs strewed across my lawn the day of the election, as I leave near a polling centre. Yay........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)