Is my ATAR screwed because of my ranks? (1 Viewer)

monieo

HSC
Well i knew my ranks weren't all that great and i've done awful at ancient so there's no wonder i came last (the teacher was an absolute idiot and marked everyone (particularly me) very hard).

My school rank last year was 58 and our school does very good in HSC usually.

My final ranks were:
Ancient history 16/16
English Advanced 68/85
Industrial Technology 11/12
Society and Culture 9/11
Studies of RE II 32/58

But I studied VERY hard for HSC. I know I did very good in the ancient paper (felt like I did anyway) and most other papers i felt like I knew the correct answers.
I need an ATAR of 70. I'm very desperate for this and im very...very worried that my internal rank is going to mess me up big time.

Can anyone help ease my already shot nerves? :S

braintic

HSC
N/A
Have you spoken to others from your year about how they went in the exams.

For starters, do you know who is likely to get the lowest exam mark in your school in Ancient History, and what this mark might be? This mark is yours for your assessment.

luciddreams

HSC
not looking good... low scaling subjects paired with poor ranking but average school ranking makes me believe you might get over 60
Well i knew my ranks weren't all that great and i've done awful at ancient so there's no wonder i came last (the teacher was an absolute idiot and marked everyone (particularly me) very hard).

My school rank last year was 58 and our school does very good in HSC usually.

My final ranks were:
Ancient history 16/16
English Advanced 68/85
Industrial Technology 11/12
Society and Culture 9/11
Studies of RE II 32/58

But I studied VERY hard for HSC. I know I did very good in the ancient paper (felt like I did anyway) and most other papers i felt like I knew the correct answers.
I need an ATAR of 70. I'm very desperate for this and im very...very worried that my internal rank is going to mess me up big time.

Can anyone help ease my already shot nerves? :S

williamdaft

HSC
Ranks affect your ATAR as they pretty much give your half your HSC mark for all your subjects. Your examination mark is the one you achieve on the HSC exam day, and the assessment mark is the one fed to you. For some people, their assessment mark might be lucky for them as they are highly ranked and they get fed a mark higher than their own examination mark, some are disappointed as it is low if you are badly ranked. For your nth rank, you get the nth highest mark out of your class cohort. The exam mark and assessment mark gets averaged and you get your HSC mark.
So, for these two:
Ancient history 16/16
English Advanced 68/85

you'll get the lowest mark by the lowest performer in your class for your assessment mark, and you get the 68th highest mark as the assess. mark for eng. adv. Ranks are important as it generates 50% of your HSC mark.
But if you studied super hard for your HSC, and got average to above average marks in the HSC to your peers then your exam mark will lift you up..your school's rank if 58 so that's not bad. I think your school's cohort is quite strong. An ATAR of 70 should be achieveable if you put in the effort to do well in the HSC

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Touch and go whether you get 70. You are ranked very poorly, but your school rank is quite high, so really depends on how your cohort performs to see if/how far they bring your marks down.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Attaining an ATAR of 70 in your case is NOT impossible. Assuming you did relatively decent in your externals and your cohort seems pretty good, you should be able to achieve your goal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)