Is my schools new rule actually allowed?! (1 Viewer)

danjw

HSC
So turns out me and one of the other girls in my bio class got the exact same overall mark however despite my teachers protesting the head teacher is demanding that one be chosen as first and the other second as there can be no equal first places!

Is this actually a rule/is it allowed? and if so how the FUCK is that fair?!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
So turns out me and one of the other girls in my bio class got the exact same overall mark however despite my teachers protesting the head teacher is demanding that one be chosen as first and the other second as there can be no equal first places!

Rock off.

It's the only solution.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school will submit your raw marks to BOS and BOS will calculate a rank from that themselves. Schools do not determine the ranks. If your school arbitrarily declares somebody first it will only matter internally (school prizes etc) and will not affect your HSC results.

danjw

HSC
The school will submit your raw marks to BOS and BOS will calculate a rank from that themselves. Schools do not determine the ranks. If your school arbitrarily declares somebody first it will only matter internally (school prizes etc) and will not affect your HSC results.
Amazing, thank you.
I still want my prizes though haha.

K

khorne

Its fair because if they are tied, and one will do worse, the maximum mark the school gets for internals will be lower. E.g. if one is on first the other second, and 97 is the highest external mark, then 97 will be the highest internal one as well, but if say, they are tied and one gets 97 the other 93, then 95 will be the highest internal mark. Its better for the cohort like this.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school can do it but - if your actual marks are identical and the raw mark is the same then no the school shouldn't be separating you.

You could appeal that decision and force them to show the difference between to how many decimal points. If still not satisfied then you could go to the BOS as the 2nd person would be disadvantaged - particularly if that person then got the highest external mark.

I wouldn't want to take that chance as a school actually - having second one mark behind first but getting the top mark and thus missing out on the top external mark as their internal mark and having to rely on moderation to do the right thing by them.

danjw

HSC
Well the problem is the cohort really sucks, like I'd say 5-6 people are possible of band 5-6 so idk what do because like cem said what if i get second ranked and it disadvantages my externals :/

tambam

HSC
Well the problem is the cohort really sucks, like I'd say 5-6 people are possible of band 5-6 so idk what do because like cem said what if i get second ranked and it disadvantages my externals :/
The only way they could fairly separate the two of you is to change the weighting of assessments or something like that right?
And are you actually exactly the same, or have you lost marks in different things? Because if they look at very minute decimal points, they should be able to separate you, and then it wouldn't actually be unfair.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The only way they could fairly separate the two of you is to change the weighting of assessments or something like that right?
And are you actually exactly the same, or have you lost marks in different things? Because if they look at very minute decimal points, they should be able to separate you, and then it wouldn't actually be unfair.
They can't change the weighting of the tasks now. What the weighting is when the assessment schedule is issued is locked and certainly the weighting can't be changed once the task has been issued.

tambam

HSC
They can't change the weighting of the tasks now. What the weighting is when the assessment schedule is issued is locked and certainly the weighting can't be changed once the task has been issued.
Naah, its been done at my school before.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Then your school has broken the rules.

You can't change the goal posts mid-game and the same for assessment weightings - they are set when issued and if a school changes them after the task has been completed that is clear grounds for an appeal which would be upheld.

tambam

HSC
Then your school has broken the rules.

You can't change the goal posts mid-game and the same for assessment weightings - they are set when issued and if a school changes them after the task has been completed that is clear grounds for an appeal which would be upheld.
Maybe.
But set weightings are pretty ambiguous anyway.
Like a task will have 2 sections, in total they are worth 25%, but they weight the sections differently and record marks separately. We're only told the really general weightings, so the rest could be up to the discrepancy of the head teachers.

mecramarathon

HSC
bos does ranks to nearest number so you'll both have the same internal rank (that's why during nov many will find their ranks "improved")

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I am 0.01 marks from another person in my Business Class. It was freaky.

I guess it would be best for the chort, hopefully you get first!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Maybe.
But set weightings are pretty ambiguous anyway.
Like a task will have 2 sections, in total they are worth 25%, but they weight the sections differently and record marks separately. We're only told the really general weightings, so the rest could be up to the discrepancy of the head teachers.

If a task has more than one section the separate weightings are supposed to be spelt out - the same with the breakdown of weightings for sections in exams etc.

That is BOS instructions that my school has been given consistently over the 20+ years that I have been teaching so if you are including some weighting for a Bibliography it has to be spelled out in the instructions to the students and can't be changed later.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rock off.

It's the only solution.
LOL

Amazing, thank you.
I still want my prizes though haha.
Prizes are usually decided based on the overall mark, not just internals. In fact, if anything, there is a little more of an influence on the externals. I got Chemistry dux at my school, even though I was 3rd internally - and 1st, 2nd and 3rd all tied for the same mark when HSC results came back. The only reason why I got the prize was because my HSC external mark was the highest. [Disclaimer: that's not to say that the dux prize at your school will be calculated like this, however, a lot of schools do use this method].

You realise that cem is a teacher, right? She knows a lot more about the HSC and the scaling/aligning/administrative side of the HSC than anyone that has posted here in a few years.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
bos does ranks to nearest number so you'll both have the same internal rank (that's why during nov many will find their ranks "improved")
BOS calculates marks to several decimal places. I find it hard to believe they'd round off school assessment marks before working out ranks.

mattyr1

HSC
ur teacher is right.. i did 4 unit maths last year.. this girl and I were close and ended up getting 1st overall.. He gave her 99 and I got 98.. In the hsc We both got 98.. dw about it.. And ur teacher is correct, there a can only be one person ranked first

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
ur teacher is right.. i did 4 unit maths last year.. this girl and I were close and ended up getting 1st overall.. He gave her 99 and I got 98.. In the hsc We both got 98.. dw about it.. And ur teacher is correct, there a can only be one person ranked first
Er, no. That's not necessarily true. For 3U Maths, there were 4 of students on 2nd. And for 4U Maths, there were 3 of people on 3rd. And for Chemistry, there were about 4 people on 3rd.

You want more proof? Look how many people are 'tied' here for Advanced English?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)